Chapter 2: Nate

Nate's POV

My head was buzzing, my thinking wasn't straight, I knew that I should stop, but something didn't click; I didn't feel like stopping. I poured myself another glass of vodka and drowned it straight away feeling the burn of the alcoholic liquid but I didn't care, I loved it. 

Xavier, my best friend approached me with a disapproving look on his face. "Man, you really need to stop drinking." he said. 

"Dude, piss off." I muttered, drowning a shot of tequila. Xavier glared at me for a split second then put an arm around my shoulder guiding me upright. 

"Let's get you home." He said. At the mention of home, I felt something in me snap with anger, maybe because I never felt as if I had a home, a home is a place where you feel comfort and calmness, but I never felt this way at home. Maybe my parents did own a massive mansion with gardens, fields and and a whole butler system, but I never felt happiness, the house was cold and empty, full of formality and materialistic stuff. I never felt my parent's love and cosiness, I never came home to find my mom cooking a family dinner, instead I always found professional chefs cooking extravagant meals. 

"I don't want to go there." I deadpanned. Xavier glanced at me then mentioned the only thing my life depends on. "Dude, don't go there for me, but for Rosaline's sake." 

Rosaline, is my younger sister, she's seven to be exact. She's a beautiful young girl who has her whole childhood ahead of her, but she couldn't live it. Not with parents like ours, tying us up for the sake of their reputation. 

I looked at Xavier and nodded. "Yeah, let's go" I murmured. I heard him sigh, then he helped me straight away to his car. 

The drive back home was silent, none of us spoke, but I didn't mind it actually. "Nate, you think you'll pick Rosaline up then crash at mine's?" Xavier said, breaking the silence. 

I tried thinking why would he mention going to his, with Rosie. Then it hit me, today was Saturday Night. The night my parents were awaiting for a long time. It was the day they were hosting one of their fancy business parties, but this one was going to be slightly different, they were meeting people from different countries trying to set up a new business deal. These parties were simply a way of bribing people into believing what wonderful people they are, and how much of a happy couple they are together, and that they are able to maintain a perfect picturesque life. Thinking about how much of liars my parents are pains me. 

"yeah, I don't want to leave her alone with our monster of a mother making Rosie act like someone she isn't" I said between clenched teeth. Xavier didn't say anything in reply. 

Arriving at my massive white mansion, I stepped out of the car, then immediately lost balance. "Hey, you okay alone or should I tag along?" Xavier asked, with concern lacing his voice though his face remained impassive. "Nah, man I can handle it." I said reassuringly then started walking to the door straight away, however knowing Xav, he didn't believe me even one bit. 

One of the servants opened the door for me with a slight head bow as he muttered a quiet "Mr. Erickson."

Upon entering the house, I was greeted by the blinding bright light of the crystal chandeliers. People were lingering in every corner chatting together looking extremely professional. "Fake people." I muttered under my breath feeling aggregated by how fraudulent everyone was, they were replicas of my parents.  

I realised that I received a lot of disgusted glances here and there, considering the fact that I was sticking out like a sore thumb. Thou, i wouldn't disagree with them, because I did stick out pretty badly. While everyone was wearing expensive tuxes and dresses, with hair perfectly styled by professionals, I was wearing a wrinkled black plain shirt with a pair of worn out jeans and a leather jacket to top it off. My brown hair was an undeniable mess and my smell was reeking of strong alcohol.