Chapter 4: He's Back

Author's Note: Please keep in mind that Mockingjay never happened in this version, therefor there's no civilization living in District 13. 

I couldn't move. I couldn't speak. I couldn't breathe. All I could do was stare at him. 18 years worth of wondering. 18 years worth of yearning for my dad. A few hours of desperately searching for him. And now he's here. Right in front of me. 

"You're beautiful," Luke said. 

Rather than replying to him, I yelled, "Cane! Go get Dad!" 

"Why? Who is it?" I heard the squeaking of the couch from Cane standing him. I heard his creaking footsteps. I heard when he walked into the room. 

"Um... Who's that?" Cane asked. 

"My name's Luke," He replied. 

A moment of awkward silence passed over us. "Oh," Cane said. "Yeah, I'll go get Dad." 

Cane ran off, leaving Luke and I alone. I couldn't speak. All I could do was stare. What is he doing here? How did he find us? Why is he suddenly showing up now, after 18 years? 

Dad walked into the room, followed by Cane, Mom, Gale, Rayne and Katniss. Mom and Dad stepped forward while everyone else lagged behind. I watched as each one of them realized who they were looking at. A sheet of silence spread over us. I couldn't look at Luke any longer, so I stared at Mom and Dad. Dad looked like he was ready to murder Luke. Mom, on the other hand, was harder to read. She had a blank look on her face. Neither anger nor happiness. Just stone. 

Dad was the first one to speak. "What are you doing here, Luke?" 

"Meeting my daughter," Luke replied. 

That pissed Dad off. "You're daughter? No! She's my daughter! You haven't been here for a single moment of her life! You have no right to refer to her as your daughter!" 

"Talon, please..." Luke begged. 

"You can't just step into Crystal's life like this!" Dad screamed. "We're a happy family, just the way we are! We don't want you here! You're scum. You murdered people! I should kill you right now!"

"Dad, stop," I pleaded, grabbing his arm and pulling him away. I don't like to see my dad this pissed off.

"May I come in?" Luke asked.

"No!" Dad yelled.

I have too many emotions. I don't know how to react. Just a day ago, if Luke would've knocked on my door like this, I would've ran into his arms and hugged him. Now, all I can do is stand here and stare at him. I know all the terrible things he's done. I know that he's the reason for Mom's scars. He's the reason  my grandmother, Tetrick, Titus and others are all dead. It's repulsive to look at him. 

But he's my dad. 

What am I supposed to do? Should I be happy that he's here, or should I slam the door in his face?

"She's my daughter, Talon! You may not like it, but that's the truth! I think I have a right to speak to her, even if it's just this once!" Luke yelled.

"Don't talk about me like I'm not in the room," I spat. I turned to Dad. "If he wants to talk to me, then he can talk to me. How about we talk on the deck? We'll be right outside."

Dad frowned. "You can't trust Luke, Crystal."

I took a deep breath. "I know. But I want to hear what he has to say." I turned to Luke. "Will you leave after you've said what you have to say?"

"If that's what you want, then yes," Luke replied.

I looked back to my parents. Everyone else was still watching us closely. Dad took a deep breath. Mom grabbed his hand and pulled him away. Everyone else followed. I turned back around and walked out onto the deck, closing the front door behind me. I didn't even glance at Luke as I walked by. I sat on one of the porch steps. Luke came and sat next to me.