Chapter 6: The Aftermath

Author's Note: I am a terrible person! I can't believe it's taking me this long to update. I am so sorry! 

Talon's POV: 

The scene around me was hauntingly beautiful. I'm standing in a forest, which is strangely familiar. There's crawling black shadows everywhere, which are licking at me heels and at the roots of the trees. It's very cloudy, yet there's still a strong, silver light emanating from the moon. My eyes scanned the sky for sign of the moon. As far as I could see, there was no moon. I couldn't find the source of the light. 

I started walking through the forest, weaving in and out through the trees. The emotions the forest gave me are indescribable. On one hand, it made me feel terrified, as if I have a lot of negative emotions tied with this forest. On the other hand, it made me happy. There's happy emotions tied to this place, too. A lot of good things happened here. It's giving me a sense of home. 

The fog in front of me cleared out of the way, exposing a path on the ground. I looked at the ground as I followed the path. I hardly acted on my own free will. I could simply feel myself being pulled down the pathway, as if there was something important for me to find at the end. 

The pathway took a sudden curve. I followed the curve. As soon as I turned the corner, I saw a large tree up ahead. I stared at it for a moment, trying to put my finger on how it was familiar. As I looked, the fog at the top of the tree parted, exposing a wooden structure. 

I smiled. The wooden structure is the tree house. Now I understand why this place is familiar to me. It's because it's the forest part of the arena. It's been 18 years since I've been here, so I didn't recognize it at first. That's why I was feeling conflicting emotions. The Hunger Games were the worst, yet the best nine months of my life. It was awful. Luke almost killed me more than once. I thought that I was going to die. 

However, those are the nine months that I spent with Willow. During that time, somehow, she fell in love with me back. 

The name sent a shock of pain through my chest. I put my hand over my heart and frowned. That's strange. 

Just as I was thinking of Willow, she appeared at the base of the tree house. She looks beautiful. The scars on her neck are gone. In fact, all of her scars are gone. Her blonde hair tumbles in waves down her back. She's wearing a simple white dress that goes to her knees. She has a huge smile on her face. 

I smiled back at my beautiful wife. She's perfect. She's everything I've ever wanted. She's the mother of my children. She's my rock and my support system. I can't imagine living life without her. I need her. 

My smile faltered as I felt the pain in my chest again. What is wrong with me? 

"Talon..." Willow said, walking towards me. "Everything's going to be okay." 

I frowned at her. "What are you talking about?" 

"You don't understand. You know in your subconscious what's happened, but the front of your mind is blocking it out, for now, because you can't handle it. But you need to handle it, for Crystal and Cane."

"Willow, baby..." I stepped forward. I tried to put my hand on her cheek, but my hand passed through as if she was nothing but a ghost. 

"This isn't real. You're dreaming. You need some closure, some hope to hold on to, and your subconscious is giving it to you."

"I-I don't understand," I replied.

"I love you, Talon."

"I love you too, Willow," I replied without hesitation.