Chapter 9: The Capitol

Author's Note: So apparently this story's predictable. 

Ha. 

Okay.

I'm quite excited to prove you wrong. 

 It's been two weeks since I gave my speech in front of Panem. And they believed me. 

The Districts hung onto every word I said. No one questioned a thing. No one seemed skeptical of Luke Corwin's lead. No one questioned why Katniss would turn her back on the Districts. None of that mattered to them. All they needed was to hear me say that Luke Corwin should be trusted, and now all of Panem is coming under Luke's rule.

What makes me so important? Why is it that people believed me, no questions?  I'm just an 18 year old girl. I just happen to be the daughter of Willow Undersee and Talon Erwin. That doesn't make me a leader. It simply means that my parents were unlucky enough that there names were drawn and lucky enough to find each other. 

Today, I have to get on a train with Luke. We're going to the Capitol. We have a mass of men who are going to attack the Capitol, to make Luke's presidency official. Luke's anticipating little resistance; all of Panem is already behind him. The only people he has to defeat are the Peacekeepers in the Capitol that are loyal to Katniss. If he gets passed them, Panem is his. 

It makes me stick to my stomach. 

Someone knocked on the door of what's become my bedroom. I lifted my head. "What?" 

"It's me," Ivan's voice replied. 

I sighed in relief. "Come in." 

Ivan opened the door and stepped inside. For a moment, i had a smile on my face. Ivan and I have become good friends since I've come here. He may be a Peacekeeper, but I know what side he's truly on, and he gives me hope that maybe Luke won't take Panem after all. It's easy to be in good spirits around him. However, as soon as I noticed what he was wearing, the smile fell off my face. 

"You're on duty right now, I see," I said, looking at his Peacekeeper outfit. Black, instead of white, to indicate that he works for Luke, not for Katniss. 

"We're leaving. I was sent to come get you," Ivan replied. He wore a frown on his face. 

"Already?" 

He nodded. "Unfortunately, yes."

"I don't want to go," I replied. "The moment we get to the Capitol, it's going to be chaos. People are going to get killed. People who want to do the right thing are going to die, and we're not doing anything to stop it." 

"We can't do anything to stop it yet," Ivan said. "There's two of us and thousands of them."

"So we're just going to let them die?" 

"What do you want me to say, Crystal? We would just get ourselves killed for trying. We'll do more good if we're patient." 

"I don't want to be patient!" I yelled. "Can't we just bomb the train or something?" 

Ivan cracked a small smile. Wrinkles formed around his bright blue eyes. "Tempting thought." 

"Then let's do it!" I launched myself out of bed, ready to run and find the closest explosives. 

"Whoa, slow down there." Ivan put his hands on my shoulders. His expression has shifted to seriousness. "Luke's prisoners have already boarded the train. Meaning your dad, your brother, your best friend-"

I cut off his sentence. "Yeah, yeah, okay. No explosives." 

"Come on. Luke's getting impatient by now, I'm sure."