Chapter 5: Havoc

Author's Note: I'm never going to stop putting in cliffhangers. I know you guys hate it, but it makes you more anxious to read the next update when it comes and they're really fun to do, because people react so strongly. So get used to it. 

There are things in this world that are more important than everything else. The most important things in life aren't things at all. They're people. They're your family and your friends. They're the one's who have been there for you. They're the ones who have made you feel loved when you can't feel anything else. They're the ones who pick you up when you're down or hug you when you really need it. When you feel love such as this, nothing else matters. 

So when the people you love the most have a bomb dropped on top of them, nothing else is more important than their safety. 

All I could hear was the steady ringing of my ears.I couldn't get to the Victor's Village fast enough. Tears streamed down my cheeks as my imagination went wild. I ran the possibilities through my head of who's dead and who's not. I know that Cane and Drea are okay. Everything else is uncertain. 

Who was back at the house when the bomb was dropped? Mom, Dad, Rayne, Gale and Katniss. Maybe Peeta, although it's been a while since I've seen him, so I'm not positive. 

What if they're dead? 

No. They can't be. All of them have been through too much to just die now. They all already went through the Hunger Games. They survived even when all the odds were against them. If they can get through the Hunger Games, I'm sure they can get through this. 

But what if they don't?

I shook the thought from my head. I can't think like that right now. I just have to find everyone and make sure they're safe. I will save anyone who needs me. Everything will be okay. Because if it's not, then I don't think I'll be able to survive. 

I turned the corner, entering the Victor's Village. My house was in ruins. Drea's house and Katniss's house was ruined, too. The wood was scorched and collapsed to a heap on the ground. My house was on fire, the flames rising quickly in the presence of wood. 

Suddenly, the ringing noise went away. I could hear everything. Behind me, screams were coming from the main part of District 12. Cane was standing beside me, whispering something too quiet for me to hear. Someone was sobbing behind me. It's probably Drea. The snap of fire made me flinch. 

I turned around. As I thought, Drea was the one crying. She was sitting on the ground with her knees pulled into her chest and her face buried into her knees. Behind her, into the main part of District 12, there was more fire. I gasped. Another bomb had been dropped. I had been so busy focused on running back home that I didn't even hear it. 

I turned around, facing the destruction of my home again. For a moment, I could see no movement. A sob welled up in my chest. Then I noticed movement coming from Drea's house. A board from the house was slightly lifted. I yelped in excitement and ran over. As I approached, it became clear that it was Rayne and Gale underneath. I started lifting the boards off of them. Cane, who had followed me over, helped. 

"Where's Drea?" Rayne asked as soon as they were both free. I pointed over to where Drea sat. Rayne and Gale immediately ran to her aid. 

"Where are our parents?" Cane asked me, looking over at our burning house. 

"Inside," I replied. My heart sank. I lost all hope. They've already been inside the house for a few minutes. If they survived the blast of the bomb and the collapsing of the house, then I doubt they're surviving the fire. 

"Crystal, look!" Cane yelled, pointing to the house. Once again, I saw a shift of movement in the boards. It was one of the boards on the outside, so it hadn't yet been touched by flame. Cane sprinted over to the house. I ran after him. By the time I got there, Cane was lifting up a board, freeing the person underneath.