Chapter 12: District 1

Author's Note: I got the inspiration for Ni from a picture a saw a few weeks back, which I just learned is a guy named Joshua Anthony Brand. Google him! That's what Ni looks like. Also the picture's on the side.

Also sorry that it's taken me so long to update. I know I'm a terrible person. I'M SORRY! 

 I woke up in the morning with a loud knock on the door. I stayed still. I didn't even open my eyes. I desperately tried to go back to sleep. If I open my eyes, then I won't have to face reality. With my eyes closed, I can pretend that I'm at my house. I can pretend that my home isn't burned to the ground and that I'm not on a train, on the way to be in the Hunger Games. 

"Chris! Are you up?" A voice said from outside the door. I had assumed the knocking was from Raven, but the voice outside is male. I didn't reply to the voice. 

"Chris!" The voice called again. This time I recognized the voice. It's Ni. 

"I'm not awake. Go away," I replied. 

Ni took that as an invitation to come inside. He opened my door and walked over to my bed, sitting on the edge. I pulled the blanket over my head. I don't want to see anyone. Especially not Ni. 

"Come on, Chris! I'm just here to talk to you. You don't have to be so closed off." The words, in a different tone of voice, would seem sincere. But with Ni's voice and the way he said it, I feel like he's making fun of me. 

"Stop calling me Chris," I grumbled. 

"Do you have a problem with that nickname? Because you might want to tell Raven that."

"I don't have a problem with the nickname. I have a problem with you calling me by the nickname." 

"And why is that?" Ni asked.

"Because I don't like you." 

Ni grabbed the blanket and pulled it off of me, so that I could no longer hide. By the look on his face, I could tell that he was no longer in a joking mood. I've now pissed him off. 

"What's wrong with me, huh? You don't even know me. You know nothing about my life. We've talked once. And you already hate me?" 

"You gave a bad first impression," I replied. 

"What did I do?" Ni yelled. 

I looked him right in the eyes, despite the chills their blue color gave me. "You were insensitive to Ivan and Grey. They're sibilings! They're upset! And all you could talk about it strategy for the games! It may have been only one conversation, but it gave me all I need to know about you. We're not even in the Games yet and you've already become obsessed with winning." 

"I want to live! Does that make me a bad person?" Ni replied, yelling again. 

"No. But being that cold that early in the process does. Now get out of my room." 

Ni clenched his jaw and stood up. "I would watch your words, Crystal." He spit the words like a curse. "You're going into the arena with me, where everyone's going to be trying to kill each other. You don't want to be first on my kill list."  With that, Ni left the room. 

For a moment, I didn't let his threat bother me. He's just angry. But then I really thought about it. He has every reason to be mad at me and no reasons to not kill me. It's different with Ivan and Grey, who have emotional attachments. Ni doesn't know me, just like I don't know him. He wouldn't think twice before killing me. 

Did I just make myself an enemy? 

Raven walked in to my room. "Did I hear yelling?" 

I nodded and sat up. "It was Ni. I pissed him off."