Day 3: The Touch

Song: Let It All Go by Birdy ft Rhodes
Day 3:

I woke up the next morning to find that everyone was already up and some people were even gone. "Mmm, What time is it?" I said sitting up and rubbing my eyes.
"It's 9:30. We all decided that you needed some sleep." Said a female voice. I looked around and saw that Katie was looking at me as a bunch of adults walked in.
"Thanks. What's happening?" I said getting up and eyeing some adults.
"Dr. Cannerts is lifting the lockdown in the hospital, some parents are picking up their children today." Katie said before walking over to some parents to talk to them. I quickly got up and went to the bathroom to do my daily routines and look presentable for the parents.

Nearly ten minutes later most of the kids had left except for a few. "It's not fair they get to go." Mary said as she sat down on her bed. I gave her a sympathetic look and sat on the bed across from her.
"Well if your mom was in here you'd be able to go." Katie said frowning a little.
"Hey" I said getting Mary's attention. "The hospital lockdown's over... You should be happy your friends get to go home." Mary nodded and looked at me smiling.
"Hey Mary, wanna play?" I looked over and saw that Quentin walked over to us. Mary nodded and followed him over to where Thomas was holding a tennis ball.
I looked over at Katie who was smiling proudly. "You did that didn't you!" I whispered loudly. Katie just chuckled and walked away. I rolled my eyes and chuckled too.
"Hey, you guys still looking for phone cords?" Said the out-of-breath voice of Jake Riley. I turned to see the very sweaty police officer in a grey tank top holding black cords.
"Yeah, thanks." I said getting up and taking them from him. I turned and went to plug my phone in when I heard Katie ask if he was okay. I shunned them out as my phone lit up and I saw that Hannah texted and asked if I was okay.
I quickly sent her a reassuring reply and got up. "I just wanna go home. Have a barbecue, sleep in my own bed.. You? Jake asked to Katie.
"...I just want to breathe... I can't till all of these kids get home safely." Katie said stressed out.
"How many got to go?" Jake asked hearing the stress in her voice.
"Not enough."
Jake looked down for a second then turned to me as I sat on my bed again. "How you holding up? I was pretty scared for you last night."
I looked directly at him and sighed.
"Sorry for the scare. It's just I've never been away from my family for a long time and those containers made it seem like we're going to be in here forever, I'm fine now." I said as I ran my fingers through my long black hair.
"It's okay, I'm glad your okay... really." Jake replied as he smiled back at me. When Jake walked away Katie turned to me and smiled. "Looks like someone's got a crush." She teased.
"Calm down. He was only being nice." I said and walked away.

Later that day Katie and I were watching the kids. Quentin bumped into her which made her mad at him. Rey (our bus driver) walked in and started talking to Katie while I continued to watch the kids. I saw Quentin, Mary, and Thomas all touch and laugh. "THAT'S IT. Everyone, separate corners." I said, pointing to corners of the room. The kids all groaned and walked to the corners as Katie finished her talk and walked over to me.
"Thanks. I think we all should get some fresh air though." She said as she crossed her arms and looked at the kids who were now grumpy.
"Why don't we go on the roof... We could play a game that involves no touching." I suggested as I noticed a basketball by the whiteboard.
"Great idea! What game though?" Katie asked then motioned the kids toward us.
"How about... 4 Square? It's fun and simple, the kids love it!"

Soon enough we got permission from the doctors to go up onto the roof to play. The kids were having fun while I was talking to Katie. "...I mean seriously, this could be a cover up. Jake and I also saw those bodies, we know they are lying." We were currently discussing what Dr. Cannerts told her about Patient Zero, she doesn't know what to believe, I on the other hand...
"I don't know, Iris. If this is something that involves the government, why? Why now?" I looked up at the sun then back at her and shrugged.
"I have to go to the bathroom." Said a voice that immediately got our attention, I looked to see it was Thomas. "Can you take me Ms. Katie?" Katie nodded then turned to me and Rey. "Can you two watch them?" We both agreed and watched as Katie left with Thomas to go to the bathroom. After a few seconds I instantly had a theory and ran to the stairs to catch up with Katie so I could tell her.
"KATIE WAIT I NEE-" I yelled once I opened the door but stopped immediately and gasped. Thomas was on the stairs with a man who looked to be contaminated, Katie was right behind Thomas. She turned to me and as she did so, the man grabbed Thomas' glove and ripped it off so he could grab his hand. I grabbed Thomas' other arm and yanked him back then watched in horror as the man was now coughing up blood. We all looked at the man then over at Thomas who was in a trance staring at his small hand that was now bloody. Oh no...