Epilogue: Forever And Always

Song: The One by Kodaline
5 Years Later:

It's been five years. Five years since the outbreak. Five years since Katie died. Five years since I confessed my love for one man. Four and a half years ago the virus died out and everything went back to normal.... Well almost. Quentin now lives with Grace and his now drug-free father while Thomas moved to Florida to live with his mom. Jake and I go and see Quentin a few times a month. Speaking of Jake, we've been married for two years. My family absolutely adores him (especially Hannah). Jake helped us get out of debt and we made enough money to afford our own place (although half the time we're out doing something though). Today we're going to the graveyard to pay respects for all of the people who died in the quarantine. After the quarantine was lifted, the state made a list of everyone who had died and build a stone plack commemorating them. After that we are going to pick up Quentin, meet up with Lex, Jana, my parents, and Hannah (and Liam, who she is now engaged to) then go to a baseball game.

"You ready babe?" My husband asked as he wrapped his arms around my shoulders from behind. I turned my head so I could see him staring back at me.
"Yeah, you got the flowers?" Jake let go of me and grabbed the bundle of yellow Pansies.
"How could I forget?" I rolled my eyes and looked at the drawing of Katie one last time. Turning around I grabbed my purse and as we were about to head out I remembered something.
"Wait." I said and rushed back into the living room. I picked up my Polaroid camera and walked back to where Jake was standing by the front door. "Got it, let's go!"

Katie Franks
Beloved mother, teacher and friend

I stared at her name for what seemed like hours. "We miss you Katie." The words slipped out of my mouth as I gently touched the plack. I felt a hand on my shoulder causing me to turn my head and look at Jake.
"Here." He pulled two of the flowers out of the bunch and passed one to me. I placed it on the floor underneath her name where dozens of other flowers were. Jake did the same and walked until he found another name we were searching for.

Mary Alice
Star student, adored by all

I followed him and pulled out another rose. "She would be a junior now, right?" Jake asked unsure.
"Yes, yes she would!" I smiled at the thought of her being top of the class, hell probably even top of the school. I laid the flower on the ground then turned to face Jake who did the same.
"Let's go pick up Quentin." As we walked over to our car, Jake pulled out another flower and handed it to me. I gladly accepted it and tore off most of the stem.
"How do I look?" I put the flower in my hair and struck a pose making Jake chuckle.
"Beautiful."

"JAKE! IRIS!" A voice yelled as Jake and I exited our car. I turned to find Quentin running out the front door and down the steps toward us.
"Hi Quentin!" I said as I hugged the grown-up boy. "How are you?"
"I'm good, I got my license!" Quentin pulled out his wallet and showed me the plastic card.
"Hey bud, good job." Jake said as he walked up to us. I smiled as they hugged and noticed the front door open and close.
"You're driving us to the game then." I said as Quentin's grandmother, Grace, walked up to us.
"Hello Jake, Iris. How are the two of you?" Ever since we got out, I got to know Grace more and I found out her side of the story.
"We're great. Would you like to join us at the game?" Jake asked but she shook her head.
"No, too much housework to do.But thank you for offering" We nodded and got back into the car, this time Quentin in the drivers seat.

We took our seats in the stands, our popcorn and drinks in hands. Jake, my dad, my mom, and Liam all had beers. Hannah and I would usually drink their beers so we had a soda, along with Quentin.
"Already starting without us?" A familiar voice questioned causing us all to look up. Jana and Lex were entering our row. I smiled at the also married couple and made room for them to sit.
"Hey, it's not our fault that you're late." Jake replied to Jana. I laughed at the glare she made towards him.
"Hey guys." I said getting up and hugging Jana, then Lex. Everybody else did the same.

After the game (and me taking dozens of photos), we all decided to go for a walk on one of the trails. Liam and Dad were leading the way with Jake, Lex, and Quentin a few feet behind them. Mom and Jana were behind them, Hannah and I trailing everyone.
"So I noticed that you never took a sip of beer, you always have at least a taste. What's up?" Hannah questioned me curiously.
Damn! I was hoping she wouldn't notice. "....I'm pregnant." Those two words slipped out before I could make up an excuse. Hannah stopped in her tracks and looked at me wide eyed. "I haven't told Jake. I've known for 2 days. Please don't say anything."
"I....uh wow Iris, that's amazing! I promise I won't tell but...wow you should tell him. I'm so happy for you!" Thankfully everyone was too occupied with their conversations to notice Hannah squealing and hugging me.
"Thank you. I was actually thinking of telling everyone today, thanks for spoiling my plan!" I scrunched up my nose playfully and made my sister laugh.

An hour later we were back at the field and sitting on a few of the empty benches. Hannah and Liam laying on one, Mom and Dad sat at another, Lex and Jana on the last. Quentin was talking to Liam while Jake and I were dancing like idiots for the fun of it.
"Okay everyone, I have something to say." I announced, taking in a deep breath. Everyone looked at me curiously, Hannah was the only one with a big grin on her face.
Taking another deep breath I put my hands on my stomach. "I'm pregnant!" Like a swarm of bees I was instantly embraced by everyone (mainly Jake). I heard congratulations from everyone but the main thing I heard was my husbands voice in my ear.
"This is amazing, I'm so happy. I love you."
"I love you too." I whispered back.

And I knew...

I have everything I ever wanted right here, right now. Everything's going to be alright.

                 Forever and Always