Day 7: Hunger

Song: Knocking On Heavens Door by Raign
Day 7:

Today has been one week since the quarantine was established. It's been four days since our phone privileges have been in affect and I am actually doing surprisingly well. Yesterday I had the idea to start writing a journal of what has been going on so I can give it to Hannah to read when the quarantine is lifted. I was able to get a blank journal provided by Dr. Cannerts but I haven't written in it yet. Today I slept in until 9:30 which made me feel pretty well. After having a small breakfast and making sure the kids were alright I grabbed a pencil, sat down at one of the tables in the room, and started writing.

Day 7 of Quarantine
Dear Hannah,
I am starting to write this journal so that you will know what my life has been like in the cordon. To be honest I don't know if I will give this to you face-to-face or if someone else will give you this but either way you will get it. Today has been exactly one week since the outbreak and four days since I haven't been able to contact you. I am absolutely fine, Katie and a few of the kids are with me (Quentin, Thomas and Mary). I've gotten to know Jake Riley this past week and he seems really nice, I can't help but say I've developed a crush on him. Katie obviously knows this and bugs me about it whenever Jake is not in the room. However, I'mfocusing on the quarantine, not guys (no matter how attractive he is). A day ago I opened up to both of them about what happened to me, Katie could hardly speak... She thought she was the only ok ne who had it bad. Jake assured me it wasn't my fault and that it was my choice, he kinda sounded like Mom but it make me feel better. Sometimes I wonder what life would have been like if I kept the baby... Would S/he like me? Our family? The world we live in? Anyway I hope the café is doing good and you are getting pretty good pay. Tell Mom and Luke not to worry, I could probably get another jo-

"Hey, what are you writing?" I heard a familiar male voice ask from a few feet away from me. I look up to see Jake setting his helmet on his bed and taking off his protective vest.
"Oh hi, I'm starting a journal so that my sister and parents will know what's been happening to me. Why are you back?" I put my pencil down and turned to face him curiously.
"You do know that it is 11:30 right? I'm on break." Jake said slowly as he walked up to me. I looked at my small wrist watch and gasped a little.
"I didn't notice, I was so caught up in this." Jake chuckled and reached over for it causing me to snatch it away quickly. "No, you're not allowed to read it."
He just scoffed at me. "That's no fair. Do you have something private in there that you don't want me to know about?"
"God, you're acting like a mom who's teenage daughter doesn't want her to read her diary." I said as I put the journal back on the table and rested my arm over it. "That would be invading my privacy and I don't want you to do that." I added smartly.
Jake pulled up another chair and sat in it backwards but facing me. "Well how 'bout you read a snippet of what you wrote?" I bit my lip hesitantly but finally nodded in agreement.
"To be honest I don't know if I will give this to you face-to-face or if someone else will give you this but either way you will get it." I read quickly then kept my eyes on the page avoiding looking at Jake.
"Hey, look at me." Jake said making me tear my eyes away from the page. I looked up to see a sympathetic yet stern look appear on his face. "Nothing will happen to you, you are perfectly safe with me."
I bit my lip once again and glanced down. "But what if something does happen?" I looked back up to see that his face didn't change.
"Well if that ever does happen then I promise you, I will be the one to give your family this." He slightly smiled and motioned to the journal.
I nodded and quickly changed the subject. "Where's Katie?" Looking around I saw that Quentin was also gone.
Jake smiled and got up to put his chair back. "Probably to go get food. I'll be around if you need me." I nodded and opened my journal back up as soon as I heard him walk away.