Day 17: The Day After

Song: All I Want by Kodaline
A Few Hours Later

"Jake?...."
"Iris?...."
I turned my head to look at the little boy who is now forced to grow up without his mother. I looked past him and saw Jake had looked at us too.
"Where do you think she is now?" Quentin asked, his voice quivering a bit. I racked my brain for something that could comfort the boy in between Jake and I.
"Jake,"
I looked for the source of the sound and found Dr. Cannerts a few feet from Jake. Hm.. I didn't even hear him come in... "you asked me to tell you when we got the body prepared."
My heart sank even further knowing what he had to do next. Jake slowly got up from his makeshift bed and got his things together.
"Try and get some sleep." Jake said quietly before walking out with Dr. Cannerts.
Quentin looked at me with longing eyes before turning away from me. Some time later I heard him quietly snore.
I don't know how long it took for me to fall asleep, but eventually the dark outline of the ceiling was engulfed with darkness.

Day 17:

I woke up from a sleepless dream to a brightly lit room. I looked around to see Jake was already gone and Quentin was still sound asleep. Good... he needs it. I stood up and headed to the bathrooms.

Thirty minutes later I headed back to the room to check on Quentin. When I got there I saw that he was sitting on his bed staring out the window.
"Hey Quent." I said as I walked over to my bed and sat down.
"Hi."
I grabbed my bag and started to dig for my pen and journal. Once I found them I opened to a blank page (careful not to look at the pictures of Katie) and started writing.

Day 17 of Quarantine
Dear Hannah,
I am so sorry that I didn't write yesterday, as you can imagine, I was spending the whole day with Katie. Last night Katie died. She died in Jake and I's arms. I keep replaying that moment over and over in my head, like an old movie stuck on repeat. I know that I am strong and that I can get through this, but right now it seems as if I never will.
Jake had to burn her body... I wanted to help but I was scared to see her body. I can't imagine what he must be going through right now.

Closing the journal I stuffed it in my bag and looked at Quentin. "Hey, come here." I patted at the space next to my bed. Hesitantly Quentin got up and went to my bed. "I'm sorry, Quentin." I looked down at my hands then back up at the little boy who sat next to me. "I was the one who suggested that we come here for the field trip."
"It's not your fault." He said with a sad smile on his face. Then the door opened and Jake ran in.
"Iris, Quentin. I need to talk to you both."

"I don't know Jake." I said shaking my head. This plan isn't full proof.
"It's Quentin's call. We promised his mom we would get him out. And I think this is the way, we have to go tonight." Jake said, hope filling his eyes.
"But this is the last place I saw her... the farther I go from here-"
"I know...but you know the question you asked us earlier?"
"Yeah"
"I won't lie, I don't know how it works exactly but I know that your mom loved you very much. People who love us tend to stay with us."
"Even from far away?"
"Yes, even from far away. If she wasn't with us right now, why would I be so worried about doing what she asked me to?" And that's when I saw it. That beautiful smile. Full of love and concern.
After a few seconds Quentin looked at me. "What if I don't want to go?"
"Then we stay here. We'll do what you want to do. What do you say?"
Hesitantly he answered. "My mom wanted it, we should go."

After Jake had left, Quentin and I started to pack. "Make sure you have everything." I then remembered that tank top and glasses I tried on the night we all went through the lost and found bins. "Hey Quent... I'll be right back."
A while of searching the halls, I finally found the bins. I pulled out the three glasses and the tank top before heading back to the room.

Jake found a way out. The tunnels underground go out of the cordon. We are paying our way out...but Jake just told me that he is not going to come with us. Right now Quentin is saying goodbye to Jake, I'm worried about Jake. What if something happens to him and I won't even know? I already lost Katie, I don't wanna loose him too. But it's a risk I have to take to save Quentin.

                Forever and Always
                          Iris

Night 17:

"Jana!" Jake yelled as we rushed over to a woman-Jana-who was standing outside waiting for us.
"Jake!" She said happily as we got closer. "You coming?" She asked as she looked over the three of us.
"Uh.. no. They are. I know it's a lot to ask." As he handed the jewelry over I could help but think she looked familiar.
"You must be Quentin and Iris. I'm Jana. Looks like the three of us are going on a little adventure, ready?" She asked (mainly) to Quentin. We both nodded and Quentin said goodbye to Jake one last time.
"I'll be only a moment." I said to Jana as they started walking away. She nodded and motioned for Quentin to follow her. I turned to face Jake.
"I guess this is goodbye." I said shrugging and trying not to cry.
"Don't worry. We'll see each other again. I promise." Jake said comfortingly.
"You're good at not breaking your promises." I said with a chuckle.
"It's my middle name." He said with a laugh.
"Still so cocky!" I laughed then turned and started walking.
"See you soon, Iris Lithe." Jake called out to me. I turned around and looked at the man who I have deep feelings for.
"See you soon, Jake Riley."