Day 13: The Infected

Song: Human by Christina Perri
Later that day:

The five of us managed to make it back to the hospital without a problem. When we got back Thomas was quarantined and Dr. Cannerts went off somewhere. Katie, Jake, and I were walking through the halls back to the room. "I don't like this. Cannerts has been lying to us since day one. Thomas shouldn't be in his care, he should be with Iris and I!" Katie said angrily.
"Yeah I agree but Cannerts wants to see the end of this just as much as we do." Jake said as he went in front of Katie and I, forcing us to stop.
"Oh so now you trust him?" I questioned crossing my arms over my chest.
"No, but right now he's the best chance we got." As Jake was saying this I looked past him to see Bert walking down the hall with a box under his arm.
"Hi Bert." Katie said making Jake step out of the way and face our fried. "What's going on?"
Bert stopped in front of us and smiled kindly. "Dr. Cannerts has asked me to check on Thomas for him."
"Why couldn't he have done it himself?" I asked curiously.
"The Doctor has quarantined himself in his lab because of how close he worked with the boy. He will be fine, I'm sure you're in good hands." Bert replied calmly. "You three need to smile more. I met my wife during hard times too, we made a point to change that. Spin something up a bit." Bert said in a matter-of-fact tone.
"She sounds wonderful" Katie said smiling.
"And then some. I'm going to check on the boys and then get this medicine to her." Bert replied tapping the box under his arm.
"Is she okay?" I asked curiously.
"She has a cut on her leg. I'll take care of her. Now spread that sunshine." Bert said before he passed us and walked in the direction of Thomas."

"You know what Thomas would like? A game." Jake said to the kids as Katie, Rey, and I were watching them.
"I bet he would love a new game!" Katie said happily as her son volunteered to get a new game for Thomas.
"Hey, masks on!" I reminded the kids as they ran out of the room with Rey behind them.
"Nice work." Katie said as she crossed her arms and looked at Jake.
"Hey, just spreading the sunshine." Jake said as he shrugged happily. I could have sworn I saw him give Katie a 'can we have some privacy?' look because she then said she needed to go to the bathroom and excused herself.
"So about that date." Jake said as soon as she'd left the room.
"It seemed more convincing when I thought we might make it out of here." I said thinking of my family, which reminded me that I needed to write in my journal.
"It's still gonna happen. Usually I push for dinner and large amounts of alcohol  but how about lunch?" Jake said giving me a cute smile that made my cheeks go red.
"Lunch?" I said a little curiously.
"Well isn't that something girls like to do to see if they're interested in the guy?" Jake asked trying not to laugh at himself.
"Well I think that should be before they shower with the guy.." I said trailing off.
"Oh we can skip to that part again." He said causing me to start laughing.
"No, I like the new you, you're very... respectable." I replied once I stopped laughing. "Yeah, I could do lunch." I nodded.
"Perfect."

A while later Katie was helping me get ready in the bathroom. "Should I braid my hair, put it in a bun, or leave it down?" I asked for the third time. Katie kept telling me I'd look good either way but I didn't know what I wanted to do.
Katie was about to answer her same reply when Quentin appeared in the doorway. "Mom, have you seen my cards?"
"Check your bed." Katie replied. Quentin thanked her and turned to leave. A moment later he turned back and looked at me.
"Do it in the bun, it looks really pretty like that." I smiled and grabbed my hair so I could put it up.
"Who says she wants so look pretty?" Katie asked next to me. "Maybe she wants to look smart or kind or funny."
Quentin smiled and took a step closer. "You like him don't you?"
I thought about it for a second then turned to Quentin. "Maybe... Do you?"
"Yeah! He said he's gonna take me to a Hocks game when we get out." I could see Quentin's eyes light up at the thought of going.
"Oh really?" Katie questioned curiously. "Just the two of you, or am I allowed to come?"
I started doing twisting the bun tightly so it wouldn't come loose. "What about me?"
"Yeah I guess you can come mom. So can you Miss Lithe... It could be like a family thing."
I looked at Katie who sighed. "Let's not get ahead of ourselves, now go have fun."
With that Quentin left and I finished up my bun.