Day 9: Immune

Song: Be Still by The Fray
Day 9:

Day 9 of Quarantine
Dear Hannah,
Yesterday I told you that Katie and I had a small fight. Last night before going to bed we apologized to each other, now we are back on good terms. Jake and I have been getting closer each day but I don't think he likes me back. He never shows signs of it...  So Katie is saying that Dr. Cannerts is lying. The real Patient Zero is either those two people that Jake, Katie and I saw when we were looking for Quentin and Thomas. I believe her, they died before the reported 'Patient Zero' died and now we all are trying to prove it. Wish me luck! Love you guys!

Forever and Always
Iris

I closed the journal and put it back in my bag with my pencil. "Hey Iris, let's go talk to Jake." Katie said as she walked up to me. When I woke up Jake wanted to go poke around so we both let him.
"Sure." I said as I lifted up my mask and walked out with her.

"I hope you didn't get caught snooping around Dr. Cannerts office." I said once I saw Jake putting stuff in his duffel bag. Crossing my arms, Katie and I walked over to see him
"No, no... But you know that guy who died before Patient Zero? The one with Dr. Sanders?" Jake asked both of us as he stood up.
I nodded my head. "Her boyfriend?" Katie asked him.
"Yeah, well I figured I could check out the stuff I sorted with his remains." I was about to ask him what he does with the dead's belongings when a nurse walked into the hallway.
"Katie, Iris?" Said the nurse. We both turned to see a middle aged bond nurse walking towards us. "Someone's here, says they want to talk to you both."
"Let's go then." I said as the three of us started trailing the nurse.
"Just ashes, no effects." Jake said to Katie. "His body was like Dr. Sanders. No wallet, no phone-"
"Like no one wanted to know who he was?" I cut him off quietly so the nurse couldn't here us.
"Well that's not suspicious." Katie said as we turned a corner and the nurse slid her key card into the panel and the door opened.
As we walked into the room that held everyone inffected, I heard people coughing and sneezing. "I'm gonna ask Lex if he would check the video cameras. I'm hoping it will show us the guy was with Sanders before she saw Patient Zero. If that's the case, one of them could be the real Patient Zero." Jake said lowly between us.
"It's gross, they pinned this on a middle eastern guy." I muttered as we walked past the windows showing us all the infected people.
"Yeah but why pin it on him? Why lie about the original patient?" Katie asked before we heard a girl shout our names.
We all stopped to see a dark skinned infected girl around thirteen. "She just came in this morning, says you two know her little brother Thomas." The nurse informed us.
"Thomas? Yeah he's my student, went home with his dad." Katie said worriedly.
"....my dads dead. I started coughing so I ran, I didn't want to get him sick." Said Thomas' sister sadly. "But now he's out there alone, you could find him right?"
"Of course." I said without hesitation. "Of course we'll find him. You did the right thing okay?" I reassured her as she started coughing a lot.
"I'll be out in a few minutes, I have patrol anyway." Jake said as Katie and I turned to face him.
"Good, we can all go together." Katie said making Jakes eyes widen. "Let's go to the room." She said to me before leaving Jake and Thomas' sister behind.

"Stay here Quentin, I am going outside to find Thomas and I don't want you coming." I heard Katie say as I quickly opened my journal to today's page.

Ps. Thomas' sister showed up sick saying Thomas is all alone outside. Katie, Jake, and I are going outside the hospital to find him. I promise to be safe so don't worry, but if something happens....you know how.

"Okay I just told Rey and he said he will watch the kids, what are you doing?" Katie asked as she grabbed a plastic bin from the corner of the room.
"I um wanted to write down what we were doing, in case anything happens." I replied as I put up my journal and stood up.
"Nothing will happen Iris. Now, help me find clothes so we can protect ourselves." Katie said as she set the bin down and started looking around.
"I know... Just if anything does happen." I said as I grabbed scarfs, long-sleeved shirts etc.