①③ 🧡 Wattpad Tip: Naver, Wattpad Stars, Studio, Etc.

In 2021 Wattpad was acquired by NAVER, the South Korean Internet giant.

Before we can talk about the rest, it's important to start here. I've been told by Wattpad staff, including those leading the Star and Ambassador programs, that Wattpad won't be changing that much and that this will be a great opportunity for growth, both for Wattpad and its writers. Wattpad will remain headquartered in Toronto, Canada, and the current administration will remain intact.

We can only hope this is the case! I believe it to be, and that means that opportunities for YOU are better than ever as well. When you succeed on Wattpad today, it might just mean more than it did several years ago or even last year.

Which is great!

So let's talk about Wattpad and its programs now. To begin with, when I became a Wattpad Star at the end of 2019, it was a surprise to me. I just worked hard, and one day got a DM. When I made Top 10 in a Wattpad Studios contest, I was blown away. All I'd done was try.

Here's a summary of each department, and then my thoughts.

Wattpad Stars: an umbrella program for Wattpad's top writers. The Stars manager connects you with other opportunities within Wattpad, mentioned below.

Paid Stories: Wattpad has stories you must pay to read. If you're in the Paid Stories program, you'll get money when users pay to read it. You'll also get more heavily promoted by Wattpad.

Wattpad Studios: They option Wattpad stories in the attempt to option them to production studios, for development into film or TV.

Wattpad Books: They publish Wattpad stories as physical books.

Wattpad Ambasssadors: Not a writing opportunity, but you get to work alongside Wattpad staff and others dedicated to the Wattpad community in order to make Wattpad a more wonderful place.  

Without exception, all of these opportunities are worth it. If you ever get the chance to join any of these programs, do so. Wattpad was a different world in 2015 when I started, and it's only gotten better every year. More professional, more revenue, more diverse departments. It's a great company worth your time and investment.