Mallory Pt5

I continued to think about showing my feminine side to Anne Marie but never mentioned it to mom, so I was startled when Mom, one day again seemed to know what I was thinking.

"Mallory," she began, "You really need some friends your age who can help your socialization."

I looked at her with a blank stare.

"Your only knowledge of how to be a girl comes from reading magazines and imitating me. Other girls your age have friends who they share experiences with. Wouldn't it be nice to have someone like that?"

"What do you mean 'other girls' my age," I asked, for clarification.

"Dear, you are becoming more of a girl every week. Isn't that marvelous? You just need a girl you can be yourself with."

Just then the doorbell rang. "Can you get that, sweetie?"

I hesitated, but then decided there was no choice. I was wearing a shirt that buttoned right over left, but it was otherwise basically plain. I hoped that the loose cut, opaque fabric, and dark print were enough to hide my lightly padded bra.

My jeans were likewise neutral, except for being a bit tight and having some embroidery on the back pockets. If I was lucky whoever was there would either be a stranger or at least not notice anything too unusual.

I opened the door only to discover, to my dismay, that it was Ann-Marie's mother.

This was a disaster.

"Hello, Mallory."

"Good evening, Mrs. White," I responded feebly.

"My, you look charming, Mallory," she said.

Mom walked into the front entryway area, just as I stepped aside to let Mrs. White in.

"Well, Marjorie, your child is certainly getting into a new role. Mallory, turn sideways sweetheart. I want to see your profile."

I wanted to die right there, on the spot. Ann-Marie had obviously betrayed me. Not only had her mother noticed what I was wearing, she seemed to be expecting it.

I turned in a slouch, trying my best to hide.

"Mallory, you need to be proud of who you are. Now fix your posture, and give Mrs. White a big-girl smile."

I hesitated and noticed that Mom was clearly amused.

While Mrs. White looked me over, mom explained, "Your friend didn't give away your secret, I did. I know you and Ann-Marie have been walking home together every day, and it didn't take me long to guess that you were looking for a best female friend your own age. I called Mary and asked her if she would be bothered by you showing your girl side to Ann-Marie. She thought this was a delightful idea, so I invited her over for a preview."

What could I do? I couldn't get out of this, and besides, I knew she was right, so I straightened my back and pulled my shoulder blades together making my padded bra show some shape.

Remembering how Mom had taught me, I next turned toward Mrs. White, put one hand on my slightly raised hip, and gave a cheesy smile.

"Marvelous. She's such a natural. It's going to be fun having her as my daughter's friend. When you first called me, I wasn't sure what to expect, but Mallory really has potential as a girl. She has nice facial features, and a little makeup will really bring that out. I think that it's wonderful when little boys get petticoated."

"Mallory is into modern girls' sports and casual wear, not petticoats," Mom jokingly corrected her.

"Marjorie, you really must let me take Mallory and Ann-Marie shopping sometime. Maybe we could even stop in a salon for makeovers."