25. Odd

This book is coming to an end, and while some of you may be sad, I couldn't be happier. I hate writing in AoU.

–

As soon as the red android exited the cradle, Steve turned to look at Vex with narrowed eyes.

"Vex, what the hell? Why would you do that?" he questioned sternly, walking towards her.

Coming back to her senses, Vex felt the voice in her head quiet down. Her throat was dry and her knees felt weak. She blinked multiple times as she spewed apologies from her lips.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know- I couldn't stop..." Vex couldn't help it as tears rolled down from her cheeks. The android was possibly a murder machine and she had just brought it to life.

Steve's disappointment turned into concern as he placed his hands on her shoulders, making her look up at him. "Okay, okay...it's fine just-"

Vex slowly backed away from Steve, feeling her chest tighten once more. She wished to help as she saw the android attack Thor but couldn't, the voice in her head too loud for her to even form a sentence, let alone fight an android.

"Get away," Vex hissed, her eyes involuntarily shining a bright purple. Her hands struggled to stay still at her side but they still twitched, and magic spewed from her fingertips.

Steve instantly backed away with his hands held up, a look of hurt washing across his face. "I can help-"

"Help them, I'm not being attacked by an android," Vex told him, not understanding how she was able to joke in a time like this.

you cannot keep letting it control you. you need to become one with it.

Vex shut her eyes tightly, trying not to listen to the voice. Part of her knew that it was right, but she didn't want to believe it. If she let that destructive side of her out, she'd be the same person she was ten years ago. The person she didn't want any of the Avengers to know about. Vex had done terrible things, things that kept her up at night and made her wish she had been locked away in a mental institution. Just because she was reformed, didn't mean she was innocent.

"My apologies for startling you," an eerily familiar voice stated.

Slowly looking up, Vex made eye contact with Ultron's human body. It tilted it's head to the side in confusion, watching Vex's every move.

"That's...odd," it commented, though it said nothing after that. The android, or as it liked to be called, Vision, walked away.

Steve went to Vex's side and helped her to stand up straight. "He's on our side." He noticed the way she looked at the Vision and held her arms down.

"How do you know? This is all my fault, I shouldn't have-"

"None of this is your fault," Steve cut the brunette off, not able to take it any longer. "He says he's on our side and if he's right, we'll have a real big advantage over Ultron. Just because you've made mistakes in your past that haunt you, doesn't mean these have to. That was nothing, don't worry about it. It happened, there's nothing you can do."

Vex nodded slowly, though most of his words went through one ear and out the other. Her mind had been made up and she chose not to say anything. She offered him her thanks before she removed herself from the situation, Steve telling her to get ready. The blue eyed woman sighed as she ventured towards her room, placing her head on her head. She hadn't gotten any sleep in days and whenever she got the chance, she couldn't seem to close her eyes.

"This team is going to be the death of me, my god am I tired." She felt the need to take a shower, even if it were only for a few minutes. The woman needed something to help her stay awake.

When she exited the shower and dried off, she put on her suit, that suddenly felt uncomfortable and too tight. Vex shrugged it off but still couldn't shake the 'feeling' that flowed through her body. It felt like power was threatening to spill over and there was nothing she could do to stop it, and that scared her.

"Are you ready?" Steve poked his head through the door meekly and sighed in relief when he realized that she had clothes on.

"...yeah, I just...I'm ready," Vex offered him a quick smile as she stood up, dusting her suit off. Her hair was pulled up into a bun as it dried and she made her way out of the room, brushing past Steve.

He grabbed her arm before she could get far though and she turned so that she was facing him. "You know I meant what I said, right? None of this is your fault and you can't associate your past with your future."

"Your past determines your future," Vex told him, though her words sounded rehearsed.

Steve shook his head, knowing that now was definitely not the time to argue with the woman. "Vex just...if you ever need anything, I'm here. You can always talk to me, I won't judge, I promise."

Vex smiled, a real one this time, and nodded. "Thank you Steve, you as well. I'm always here; and for some reason, you always know where I am so...don't hesitate."

The super soldier smiled back, before he slowly began to walk away. Vex hesitated, holding her tongue briefly, before she gave up and called his name. When he turned around to look at her again, he could see her hesitation but before he could comment, she said something.

"I promise Steve."

almost done with this book, and I'm so happy at how fast I'm getting this all done