Chapter 12: Searching The Jam Cams

When Nick and Judy got to City Hall they found Assistant Mayor Bellwether who was struggling to hold a stack of files all the while trying to keep up with Mayor Lionheart. "Sir? If we could just review these very important-" As Bellwether continued struggling to hold up the files she almost stepped on a little mouse. "Oh, I'm sorry...sir!" Lionheart rolled his eyes. "I heard you, Bellwether. Just take care of it, ok?" He set another folder on top of her already huge stack. "And clear my afternoon. I'm going out." "But, sir, you have a meeting with Herds and Grazing... Sir-" Lionheart ignored Bellwether and slammed the door in her face, knocking over all the files she was carrying to the floor. "Oh, mutton chops." She said, bending down to pick up the scattered pieces of paper. Judy approached Bellwether. "Assistant Mayor Bellwether. We need your help. Sarah has been kidnapped." Bellwether gasped. "Kidnapped! How did that happen?!" "It's a long story. But right now we need you're help in finding her." Bellwether nodded and led them into her office. Judy and Nick looked surprised. Bellwether's office was really a janitor's closet. "We just need to get into the traffic camera database." As Bellwether was typing on the keyboard of her computer, Nick was touching the wool on the top of Bellwether's head. "Sooo fluffy!" Judy glared at Nick. "Hey!" But Nick continued to touch Bellwether's wool. "Sheep never let me get this close." "You can't just touch a sheep's wool!" Nick ignored her. "It's like cotton candy!" Judy swatted his hand away. "Stop it!" Bellwether turned to Judy, catching her in mid-swat. "Uh, Rainforest District. Vine and Tujunga." Bellwether looked thrilled and pointed at the computer screen. "There! Traffic cams for the whole city. Well, this is so exciting, actually. I mean, you know, I never get to do anything this important." Judy looked shocked. "But you're the assistant mayor of Zootopia." Bellwether shook her head. "Oh, I'm more of a glorified secretary. I think Mayor Lionheart just wanted the sheep vote.... But he did get me that nice mug." She said pointing proudly at a mug that read WORLD'S GREATEST DAD (ASSISTANT MAYOR.) All of a sudden, Mayor Lionheart's voice shouted through the intercom. "Smellwether!" Bellwether cringed as she got up from her chair. "Oh, that's a fun little name he uses. I called him Lionfart once. He didn't care for that." Bellwether pressed the button on the intercom. "Yes, sir?" "I thought you were going to cancel my afternoon!" Lionheart yelled through the intercom. "Oh, dear... I better go. Let me know what you find. It was really nice for me to-" "While we're young, Smellwether!" Lionheart's voice boomed again as Bellwether opened the door and frantically hurried out. When Bellwether was gone, Nick turned to Judy. "You think when she goes to sleep, she counts herself?" Judy rolled her eyes. "Shush. Ok, traffic cams... Tujunga, Tujunga... we're in." Judy and Nick watched the footage on the computer screen. They saw Sarah petting Manchas, but all of a sudden a black van pulled up and Manchas stood protectively in front of Sarah. Judy looked confused as two wolves in leather jackets got out of the van. "Who are these guys?" "Timber wolves. Look at these dum-dums." One of the wolves trapped Manchas with a net! And the other wolf picked up Sarah and took her to the van. Judy gasped and Nick looked furious. "If they hurt a hair on Sarah's head, they're gonna regret it when I'm done with them!" One of the wolves started howling and Nick rolled his eyes. "What is it with wolves and howling?" But Judy wasn't listening, she was thinking about something. "Howlers. Night howlers. That's what Manchas was afraid of-wolves! The wolves are the night howlers. If they took Manchas-" Nick caught on to what Judy was saying. "I bet they took Otterton, too." Judy nodded and started examining the footage. "All we've gotta do is find out where they went," As the wolves drove away, they disappeared through a tunnel but they didn't come out the other side. "Wait. Where'd they go?" Nick looked at the picture. "You know, if I wanted to avoid surveillance because I was doing something illegal-which I never have-I'd use the maintenance tunnel 6B, which would put them out..." Nick clicked on another camera's footage, then another, and another...then the wolves van emerged from the tunnel! "Right there." Judy was impressed. "Well look at you, junior detective! You know, I think you'd actually make a pretty good cop." "Ugh. How dare you." Nick said jokingly making Judy chuckle and he turned back to the footage. "Acacia Alley, Ficus Underpass, South Canyon..." Judy nodded. "Mhm, they're heading out of town," She clicked through more surveillance videos, watching the wolves drive through alleys and back roads. "Where does that road go?" Nick shrugged, but had a determined expression on his face. 'I'm going to find Sarah, and when I do, I'm never letting her out of my sight.'