Chapter 16: The Truth Of The Night Howlers

Back in Bunnyburrow, Sarah was immediately welcomed by Judy's family. Stu and Bonnie were happy to have a granddaughter, and Judy's siblings also took a liking to Sarah. Sarah was playing hide and seek in the cornfield with one of the Judy's sisters while Judy was selling carrots to a mother rabbit and her daughter. Judy wrapped up the carrots and gave them to the mother rabbit. "A dozen carrots. Have a nice day." Stu and Bonnie notice Judy's behavior and approach her with a concerned look on their faces. "Hey there, Jude... Jude the Dude. Remember that one? How we doing?" Stu asked Judy who shrugged. "I'm fine." Bonnie shook her head. "You are not fine, your ears are droopy." Judy sighed. "Why did I think I could make a difference?" Stu smiled warmly. "Because your a trier, that's why." Bonnie nodded in agreement. "You've always been a trier." Judy scoffed. "Oh, I tried. And I made life so much worse for so many innocent predators." Stu shook his head when a truck pulled up. "Oh! Not all of them, though. Speak of the devil. Right on time." Judy's eyes widened when she saw a familiar looking fox inside the truck. "Is that Gideon Grey?" Stu nodded. "Yep! It sure is. We work with him now." "He's our partner, and we never would have considered it had you not opened our minds." Bonnie added. "That's right, I mean Gid's turned into one of the top pastry chefs in the Tri-Burrows." Judy looked amazed. "That's... That's really cool, you guys." Judy walked over to Gideon. "Gideon Grey. I'll be darned." Gideon looked at Judy with a guilty expression on his face. "Hey, Judy. I'd just like to say, I'm sorry for the way I behaved in my youth. I had a lot of self doubt and it manifested itself in the form of unchecked rage and aggression. I was a major jerk." Judy smiled and shrugged. "Well, I know a thing or two about being a jerk." Gideon smiled and took out a tray of pies. "Anyhow, I brought you all these pies." Some kid bunnies ran across field, making a beeline for the pies. "Hey kids! Don't run through that Midnicampum holicithias!" Gideon walked over to them. "Well, now there's a four-dollar word, Mr. H, my family always called them Night Howlers." Judy's ears shot up. "I'm sorry, what did you say?" "Oh, Gid's talking about those flowers, Judy. I use 'em to keep the bugs off the produce, but I don't like the little ones going near 'em on account of what happened to your Uncle Terry." Stu said. Bonnie nodded in agreement. "Yeah. Terry ate one whole when we were kids and went completely nuts." "He bit the dickens out of your mother." Stu added. Judy's eyes widened. "A bunny can go savage." Bonnie looked at Judy. "Savage? Well that's a strong word, but it did hurt like the devil." Stu nodded. "Well sure it did. There's a sizeable divot in your arm. I'd call that savage!" Realization hit Judy like a freight train. "Night Howlers aren't wolves, they're flowers. The flowers are making the predators go savage, that's it! That's what I've been missing! Sarah, come on!" Sarah nodded and followed Judy to the car. Judy remembered something and turned to her dad. "Oh, keys, keys keys keys, hurry come on!" Stu took out the car keys and tossed them to Judy. "Thank you! We love you, bye!" Judy and Sarah climbed into the car. Judy started the car and they drove off to Zootopia with Gideon, Stu and Bonnie watching them drive away. "You catch any of that, Bon?" Stu asked. Bonnie shook her head. "Not one bit." Gideon looked relieved. "Well, that makes me feel a little bit better, I thought she was talking in tongues or something."