Chapter 13: Rescuing Sarah

Nick and Judy had found the mysterious road the wolves had taken and started following it. They stopped and watched from a distance as the exact same van from the video drove past them and a gated check-point. Beyond the gate was an old creepy building called Cliffside Asylum that was perched up high on a cliff overlooking the ocean. Nick rolled his eyes. "Great a guarded creepy building, just what we need." The two of them slowly ventured closer to the asylum, sneaking over to the guarded gate. They could see the same two wolves who had kidnapped Sarah and Mr. Manchas. Nick made hand signals to Judy that he was going to try and tiptoe past the wolves. He started tip toeing, but when he got closer, one of the wolves started sniffing the air, picking up on Nick's scent. Nick quickly grabbed a piece of driftwood to use as a weapon as the wolf started to search for the source of the scent. But before the wolf found Nick, a howl sounded in the distance, getting the wolf's attention. "Oooooooooo!" It was Judy, from her hiding place. Hearing the sound, the wolf couldn't resist howling back. Another wolf guard approached him. "Quit it, Gary. You're gonna start a howl." Gary shook his head. "I didn't start it. Oooooooooo!" Unable to control it, the other wolf also started howling. Soon all of the wolves were howling. Judy ran over to Nick. "Come on!" They used the wolves' howling to jump over the fence and sneak past the guards. Nick was impressed. "Clever bunny." As Nick and Judy were scrambling over slippery rocks, Nick almost slid down a waterfall. The two of them started searching for a way inside the asylum when they spotted a large pipe. They climbed inside the pipe and started walking until they got into the asylum. The big dark room was filled with old and rusty medical equipment. "Looks like this was a hospital." Judy said. She shined her flashlight app down a corridor and at the other end she saw a metal door. Nick and Judy walked toward it. Nick was about to open the door, but then backed away from it and turned to Judy. "You know, after you. You're the cop." Judy rolled her eyes and slowly pushed the door open, revealing a different room with shinier more modern new medical equipment. Cautiously, they walked into the room and looked around. Nick tapped Judy on the shoulder and pointed to the floor where there were crisscrossed scratches. Judy looked suspicious. "Claw marks?" In the door, there were also deep grooves. Nick, who was getting scared started to back away slowly. "Yeah, huge, huge claw marks. But what kind of anima-" All of a sudden, a growl interrupted his train of thought and out of nowhere a ferocious tiger reached out for Nick and Judy with his claws, but couldn't reach them due to being locked up. Judy held up her flashlight, swiveling it around the room revealing dozens of glowing eyes!!!! They walked down the hall passing each of the cells of all the locked-up animals when they saw a jaguar standing on all fours, pacing in his cell. Judy recognized the jaguar. "Mr. Manchas." They continued walking past five cells until they finally found the last one. Inside the cell was feral otter, otherwise known as Emmitt Otterton! Judy gasped. "It's him. We found our otter." Nick rolled his eyes. "Ok, great. But where's Sarah?" "I don't know. But don't worry, I'm sure she's around here somewhere." Judy turned to look to Mr. Otterton and spoke gently. "Mr. Otterton, my name is Officer Judy Hopps. You're wife sent me to find you. We're gonna get you out of here now." All of a sudden, Otterton screeched and lunged at the glass wall as if he was trying to attack. Nick backed away, scared. "Or not. Guess he's in no rush to get home to the Mrs." Judy looked down the corridor of cells and started counting. "Eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen. Plus Manchas. Chief Bogo handed out fourteen missing mammal files.... All the missing mammals are right here!" Nick nodded. "Ok, but where is Sarah?" All of a sudden there was a whimpering sound coming from a cell right behind them. Nick and Judy's eyes widened and they rushed over to the cell, they peeked into the cell and saw Sarah wrapped in her baby blanket crying her eyes out. "Hey kid it's us! It's me and Carrots, we're busting you out." Click! The door started to open so Nick and Judy quickly darted into Sarah's cell. Nick rushed over to Sarah and hugged her close. "Shh. Don't cry kid. It's ok. I'm here." Sarah sniffled. "Daddy?" Nick froze and then slowly smiled warmly. "Yeah, daddy's here. I got you. Everything's going to be ok." Nick, Sarah and Judy heard footsteps getting closer, and they saw someone enter the room.... It was Mayor Lionheart and he was yelling at a badger Doctor. "Enough! I don't want excuses, Doctor, I want answers." The Mayor looked very serious, intense, and also very tired. Judy immediately took out her cellphone and started to record Lionheart talking to the badger doctor. Mayor Lionheart, please," the doctor said. "We're doing everything we can." Lionheart scoffed. "Oh, I don't think you are. Because I've got a dozen and a half animals here who've gone off-the-freaking-rails crazy, and you can't tell me why. I'd call that awfully far from doing everything." The doctor sighed. "Sir, it may be time to consider their biology." Otterton, who was in the cage behind them, started slamming against the walls of his cell. Lionheart rolled his eyes. "Biology, Doctor? Spare me." "We both know what they all have in common. We can't keep it a secret. We need to come forward, and as for the little girl...you can't keep her trapped in here like some wild animal! It's not right!" Said the doctor. Lionheart snarled and turned to the doctor. "What do you think will happen if the press gets ahold of this? And as for the little girl, don't worry. I'll take care of her." Nick snarled and held Sarah protectively. "What does Chief Bogo think?" The doctor asked. "Chief Bogo doesn't know. And we are going to keep it that way." Brrring! Brrring! Judy's phone started ringing, breaking the silence. Her parents were calling her. Nick, Sarah and Judy froze. 'Talk about bad timing! They had to call me now?!' Lionheart looked up with a startled expression on his face. "Someone's here!" "Sir, you need to go now," the doctor said, pushing him out of the room. "Security, sweep the area!" An alarm started blaring through the asylum and wolves with guns immediately swarmed the halls. Sarah whimpered and Nick patted her softly on the back. "It's going to be ok." Judy put her cellphone into an evidence bag and turned to Nick and Sarah. "Can you swim?" "What? Can I swim? Of course. Why?" Nick and Sarah watched as Judy dived into a large hippo toilet. Nick looked at Sarah. "Hold on to me, kid." Sarah nodded and held tightly to Nick and her baby blanket. Nick and Sarah closed their eyes and jumped into the toilet in each other's arms after Judy. The three of them slid down the pipe twisting this way and that way until they shot out falling down a waterfall. Sarah screamed in fear and Nick held her close. "It's ok kid! We're gonna make it!" They landed in the water with a splash. Nick and Sarah emerged from the water gasping for air. Sarah was shivering as Nick held her in his arms. Nick looked around for Judy but she was nowhere to be seen. "Carrots? Hopps? Judy!"  Suddenly he heard someone gasping for air and sighed in relief when he saw Judy also emerge from the water. She held her bagged phone above her head. "We've got to tell Bogo!" When the three of them swam safely to shore, Nick rubbed Sarah's arms in order to keep her warm and Judy called Clawhauser. Sarah sneezed. "Achoo!" Nick chuckled warmly and kissed her on the forehead. "Let's never do that again, kid." Sarah nodded in agreement. Let's just say Sarah was going to steer clear of waterfalls from now on.