e i g h t

Jenna opened the light wooden door to reveal my bedroom. I would share it with Mikey but after what had happened and having experienced such a massive room to myself, I felt comforted with the fact he would be there too. Lord knows I'd be having more nightmares than usual.

"You like it, hermano?"

Once Jenna headed downstairs, he lightly shoved my shoulder and I laughed at the boy's closeness- something I knew we both deserved to experience with each other.

Observing the room made me smile. It had a simple bunkbed with white sheets and a black grid pattern. There were two desks with accompanying laptops, a small couch and tv with a nice little stack of DVDs and a dresser. It looked like a closet lay in the corner. A simple but large window lay on the opposite wall. When I didn't respond to Mikey, he spoke up.

"It's simple, I know, but I like it."

He smiled and plopped himself on the couch.

"Well you've definitely moved yourself in." He laughed at that.

"Yup," he raised an arm to touch the hanging light,"all my life I've appreciated Mom and her house but it's hard, you know? Almost like you're never comfortable in your own room and it's just this big mansion she was gifted by her last sugar daddy. It's so empty."

I nodded in understanding and perked up at the mention of "sugar daddy".

"I thought she was an actress. Didn't she have the money to buy it on her own?"

"Yes and no." Mikey chuckled but continued.

"She has always been pretty wealthy but she dropped nearly all of it on alcohol, cigarettes and luxury items to stock all the houses she was gifted. And when her "suitors" would be tricked into giving her lots of that money, she would do the same with all of it but was also able to repay all the debt she was in. It was a mess."

What a woman. I never thought I would have to deal with someone like that on a personal level. Before our moods could get too down, Alexis shouted down the hall from her own room.

"Aunt Jenna and I are going shopping! Wanna join?"

Mikey smirked at me and hopped off the couch just as quick as he got on and whispered to me.

"I know a great place for avocado toast."

Smirking back I followed him downstairs where Alexis and Jenna were already waiting.

"Hurry boys, we've got a lot more mouths to feed meaning a whole lot more food to buy!"

"Sorry Aunt Jenna."

I nodded my apology to her as well and we all entered her car once again. Not sparing a moment, Mikey entered his rightful place in the passenger side while Alexis and I took the backseat.

While Jenna pulled out of the driveway, Alexis and I began an important conversation about the importance of cooking podcasts- something I had become so addicted to back in winter.

"Talk any more and I'll be convinced you two are middle aged housewives."

We laughed at Jenna's comment and for once I felt like I was apart of something special- and I knew it wouldn't be the last.

"Dan Pashman in my opinion is the legend of outdoor cooking and his knowledge on more than just the bare bone basics is astonishing!"

"..But bring in Cathy Erway and you've got some real competition with refined techniques."

"Oh will you two shut up already!"

Alexis slapped Mikey and he laughed while turning up the radio.

You'll always be a part of me
I'm part of you indefinitely
Boy don't you know you can't escape me
Ooh darling 'cause you'll always be my baby

Hearing my siblings- MY siblings shouting to the beat and even Jenna joining in with a rhythm on the steering wheel not only made me appreciate Mariah Carey but the fact this was my home. This was my family. Nothing could change that ever again.

Just in time, my phone buzzed with the sound of an incoming text.

Troye💙
hey :)

Not even a word in and I was already smiling.

hi :))

what's up stranger??

I just got out! omw to each lunch and shop :)

Connor Franta shopping!?!? 😱😱

shut up I'm actually enjoying it
hbu?

I'm leaving tmrrow!! let's catch up ;)

ofc bby I'll be waiting ;)

did u just...

I guess you'll just have to wait 😏

Wow was I being overly flirty for no reason. Some part of me worried he wouldn't take it well but most of me didn't care. I mentally shamed myself but overall what can I say? I've missed the blue eyed boy.

As the car pulled into Amy's Bed and Breakfast, I was slightly confused.

"This is where they serve the legendary avocado toast?"

Alexis rolled her eyes but Mikey luckily answered.

"Yeah man, they also have French toast, Belgium waffles and a kILLER eggs Benedict!"

I trusted his intuition and followed my family to the entry. Outside were small patios with wrought iron tables and chairs, inside it shared the vibe of an older yet cozy living room of a home in the early 60s. I liked it.

"Table for four please."

As the waitress got our menus, I smiled as I saw an older gay couple sitting on a table in the corner sharing spoons of strawberry jam. What a life that would be.

The waitress led us to a booth in the back with a cracking cover over the seats and an oiled table with a freshly burning candle and menus as big as my calculus textbook. However unsettling it may be to most, I found the setting comforting.

I sat beside Mikey across from the ladies and it proved troubling as Mikey was constantly leaning over the table to show Alexis a post about him on an app called Afterschool, claiming he was hotter and more desirable than she was.

Jenna took the time to engage in small talk which I so deeply appreciated. All too soon people would ask about my affairs or my history as both weren't "clean" and people found it worth their time to question. Jenna however understood more than most and relieved me by keeping the deep questions at bay. Once our food arrived, I found myself drooling at the mouth.

A plate as large as my head contained three slices of toast with a good portion of avocado, tomato and seasonings to top it off. This didn't look the same as the one I ate at Colleen's but it looked too savory for me to resist.

As we ate I found myself moaning at the flavor and Mikey chuckled almost spitting out his cranberry juice. Alexis was fully content with an extra large waffle topped with every syrup desirable.

Jenna smirked at me as she saw my adoring eyes on my brother and sister.

Who would've known that a family was all I needed?