Trying Again

Winter's POV:

I'm so bored. I just now came to my room after breakless hours working with Tony. I probably should start calling him Uncle Tony. Nah, it'll be weird. My feel sleepiness drawing me in. Maybe I'll just take a nap. No harm in that. It's late. I deserve it. I close my eyes and relax. Someone pounds on the door. I open my eyes annoyed.

"It's open," I yell. I sit up and Steve comes in. I look at him with tired eyes.

"I was thinking you worked so hard that you deserve a break. We never got to watch..... that movie. We can go to another theaters just a bit further that's all."

"Yeah, sure. Just let me get ready. Also, the movie is Star Wars."

He nods and leaves closing the door. I lay back down. Nearly falling asleep. I smile. Sleep at last. I just realized something. I said yes. Why didn't I say no. I roll over to the edge of my bed. Too tired...... I swing my legs off and go into the bathroom. I grab a towel and wet it. I wipe my face off, then brush my teeth. I change clothes. Putting on a pink blouse and black jeans and flats. I grab my black jacket and go to the elevator. I push the button and wait. I pull out my phone checking for any messages. Who I'm I kidding. No one texts me. Maybe for help (answers) with homework, but other than that. Nothing. I really am a lonely person. The elevator opens. I nod at Steve and we walk out.

The night is cool with a full moon. The sky free of clouds. Can't see the stars sadly but still beautiful. I wonder why we don't take a car. He likes using his feet too much. I smile at the people passing by. Many of them stopping to stare at Steve. I ignore the ones who do. Everyone acts like I'm not there. A little runs into me. She falls. I help her up.

"Sorry," she says. I smile. She's so cute.

"That's alright," I tell her. She smiles. A girl my age comes up panting. She stops in front of us taking deep breathes.

"Julie you need to stop running off everywhere. Mom's going to kill me if you get lost," she says. She picks up the little girl; putting Julie on her back. Julie laughs. My smile growing once more.

"Thanks. Have a good night," she says and starts walking. The little girl waves back and yells bye. I wave back and tell her bye. I'm saying it again. She's so cute. We continue to walk. I can tell Steve has a smile on his face and keeps glancing at me. I try to ignore it.

"What?" I finally say.

"You're nicer to kids than adults," is all he says. I shrug my shoulders. I guess I'm nicer to them. We get to the theater. He buys the tickets. I reach in my pocket for money, but realize I forgot it. Steve comes up.

"I forgot my money."

"Here take this," he says handing over a small stack of money. I grab it from him. I don't know what Steve wants. I'll just get him popcorn and a soda. I get him that and the same for me. I put the change in my pocket and grab the stuff. Balancing it all. Maybe I should've gotten small popcorn instead of large. Would've been easier to carry. I see Steve talking to a man. He looks oddly familiar. Steve notices me and grabs his popcorn and drink.

"Winter this is Sam Wilson. The Falcon," Steve introduces me. That's why he looks familiar. I remember reading his flies. I won't tell him that though. He think I'm a total creep.

"Hello," I say.

"Hi. Steve says you're very intelligent," he says.

"I am intelligent," I say. He laughs. "We'll see you later Steve. Nice meeting you Winter."

He walks away. He seems to be in a hurry. Whatever. Not my problem. We walk into the room showing the moving. I sit in the middle. Steve sits next to me. There is a lot of people here for being so late. This movie must be popular.

💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰

The movie was amazing. I wish I watched it sooner. I ended up eating all my popcorn about twenty minutes into the movie. Steve ended up giving me his. His lasted a bit longer, but I finished it about forty minutes before the movie was up. I need to learn to eat popcorn slower.

We walk out. The night hasn't changed. Still cool. I'm surprised that there is still a lot of people out here. My mom would never let me stay up this late. She would've had me in bed four hours ago. If I stayed up this late she will either assume I can't sleep or I'm working on innovating something. It could be both, but she believed it was one thing or the other. I suddenly feel empty inside. Mom. I miss her. I still don't understand why she left. I don't think if she stayed she would be in troubled. She did sound scared on the phone before she left though. Who needed both my mom and dad. Now I'm parentless. No friends. And the loneliest girl alive. Maybe I can call her. I pull out my phone and click on her number. I beg for her to answer. She has to. She needs to. Tears come to my eyes. I hang up and put it back in my pocket.

"What's wrong?" Steve asks. I just stay silent.

He gets in front of me and grabs my shoulders. I look down. I don't want to look at him. He puts his hand under my chin, forcing me to look at him. I can't see him clearly with all the tears.

"Winter, I need you to relax.

"But she's gone," I say.

"Please, Winter. I can help you." At that I relax a bit. He wipes some of my tears away with his hand. Tears still come, but slowly.

"Don't cry. Your mother is still in your heart. She never truly left you. I know what it's like to lose people. I know what you're feeling. Trust me. She's still inside of you."

I stop crying now. I wipe my face from the last bit of tears. I nod to him. Telling him I'm okay. He hugs me. I hug back. I don't want this to end. I feel less lonelier now. He lets go though. We walk back in silence. I'm grateful for him. I just need to show it somehow.

💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰

Tony's POV:

I stand at the deck looking down. I bored as heck. Need something to do. The kid is probably asleep by now. She worked so hard taking all these notes on Shadows. She has a bunch of experiments now thanks to that, but I don't think we came up with a solution to what they are. I don't know why, but I kinda feel bad for her. She is my niece afterall. I just need to find out what she likes to do and we'll do it. Most girls like to travel. Maybe she wants to travel somewhere. I hear a loud laugh from below. I look down. Steve is smiling at someone. I focus on that someone and see it's Winter! She never asked me to leave.

I decide to go down and pay them a visit. She should be in bed; not out and about. The elevator opens just as they enter. I walk up to them. Winter smiles immediately goes away. She was happy doing all that research not that long ago. No way she hates me that quick.

"You're supposed to be in bed."

"Will I'm not. You can't do anything about it," she says.

I about to speak but Steve beats me to it. "It's my fault. Don't blame her. Anyway aren't you suppose to be the fun one?"

"I am fun. Winter go to bed. Good night," I say walking off. WInter snorts and goes to the elevator. I go downstairs. I need to workout anyway. Might as well try some new things I made.