Widow's Turn

Chapter 18- Don's POV:

I slowly open my eyes. I'm about to move but realize some things around my waist. In fact it's Winter's arm. I try moving her arm gently, but her grip tightens around me. I groan. Come on. I look and notice Peter and his friends are gone. Steve is sound asleep. I hear footsteps and hope they come over here. I don't want to be waking anyone up. Sam comes walking by. I wave my hands. He stops giving me questioning look. I smile and point at Winter's arm. He gives a small look of annoyance. Right, Sam still hasn't forgiven Winter. It was just popcorn and soda. He comes over and lifts Winters arm gently. I slide away. Sam puts her arm back down. He helps me up. I nod my thanks. I go into the kitchen. Sam right behind me. I sit on one of the stools. What should I eat? It would help for me to get up and look, but I'm too tired.

"Why are you just sitting there," Sam questions pouring himself a bowl of cereal.

"I'm thinking," I retort.

"About what?"

"Food."

"There's food almost all over the kitchen you know," he says in a duh tone. I roll my eyes.

"I know that. I want something big, but doesn't take too much work."

"You do realize that everything's too much work."

"Of course," I say throwing my hands in the air. "I'm not dumb."

Sam says something under his breath. I eye him suspiciously. He laughs a little. I end up smiling. I get up and grab some bacon. Then some eggs and pancake batter. I begin cooking. Sort of. Not very good at it, but hey I'll eat whatever I cook. I get started. Sam watches me the whole time. Creepy. He comments how I got a piece of eggshell in the batter. And how I'll let the bacon burn if I don't take it out soon. He even said I poured orange juice wrong. I'm suppose to shake it before pouring. In my opinion it doesn't matter.

When I finally finish, I look at my food proudly. Okay, so it's not the best. My pancakes aren't circle's. I don't know what shape it is. Also some are really thin. Other's thick. My bacon did kinda get burnt. I did some eggs and sausage too. The eggs don't have much seasoning. My sausage might not be done. This was harder than I thought.

"You did a wonderful job," Sam says.

"Be quiet. I tried at least," I defend myself.

Steve and Winter walk in sleepy. They sit down. Yawning.

"I thought you were a morning person?" I ask Steve.

"Watch T.V too long. Didn't go to bed until four in the morning. Not much sleep," he says. His head falling forward, but quickly snapping back up. Winter has her head on the counter. Asleep once more. Why did she get up then? I eat my food with disgust. Forget cooking. I'm paying someone to do it for me. Winter said she knew how to cook. Maybe she can be my personal chief. Then again, she'll be busy building something. Sam laughs. Steve has a small smile on his tired face. I glare at both of them. They must see the faces I making while I'm eating. Peter and Ava come in. All dressed and ready to go. Peter notices Winter and goes to her. He lifts his hands to her ear and claps really hard. Winter jumps. Falling back. Peter catches her. Laughing his head off. The rest of us laugh as well. I think Steve was jolted awake after that clap too.

"Peter!" Winter yells. Ripping her arms from his grip. She gets up marching away from him and over to me.

"You told him to do it, didn't you?"

"No. I would never do that to you," I say. Trying not to crack a smile.

"I believe you now. Later is a different story," she says eyes narrowing. "Did you make that?"