Chapter 4: New Life

Danny wouldn't let me go back into the bathroom. He kept picking me up like a sack of potatoes and putting me on the bed. He finally grabbed my hands and pulled me down. I was crying and begging him to let me go. He finally did. I fell onto the bed and cried. Danny's hands were running up and down my back. He was trying to calm me down. I was slowly breathing. Taking small deep breaths before finally stopping. Danny pulled me up and gave me a hug. I rested my head on his shoulder. We were silent for a few moments. He was giving me the chance to calm down.

A loud smashing sound echoed through out the house. The front door was in the kitchen. Danny quickly grabbed me and my stuff. He put me out the window and handed me my bag. "Stay here." He whispered then disappeared. I waited for him to come back. I was constantly looking around, making sure no one could see. He quickly came back and hopped out the window. Danny was in his robe covered up. He grabbed my hand and led me down the street. I followed behind him, trying my best to keep up with him. I kept looking back to see if we were followed. We weren't and I couldn't believe how fast he was able to move in the night. It was like we were flying. But in reality it was really fast speed walking. He took me two blocks away from my house before we got to an apartment building. I wondered how he was able to come back to my house so quickly once it grew dark. We went up the stairs. He got out his keys and opened C15. He went in first. I followed behind him. I looked around. It was a normal apartment. From what I could tell in the dark.

   "Where did you go?" I waved my hand around. He didn't answer me. This made me nervous. Without warning, he grabbed my hand. Pulled me away to shut and lock the door. He grumbled a little bit. He led me down a hallway. We entered a room. It had a bed, a table and a dresser. I looked at him. "This is your room. I'm right next door. Bathroom is on the right side." I nodded quietly. He left me in the room alone. He didn't seem to thrilled with me being here. I sighed. The room looked new. It was all cleaned up. I placed my bag on the floor. It was late. It must have been after midnight already. There was no clock around. My ears picked up a couple cars driving by. I wen cover and looked out the window. There were people outside, just standing and smoking. It seemed like a peaceful neighborhood. This was all very different for me. I wondered if I was going to become the maid here to? For the last year of being treated badly, nothing was going to surprise me. Well, besides me living with a real monster. Too tired to think anymore, I crawled into bed. At first, falling asleep was difficult. I constantly kept checking the door. There wasn't a lock on it, which made me feel worse. After awhile of fighting my fears, I managed to fall asleep.

I woke up the next morning with Danny sitting in front of me. I jumped up out of bed. He frowned. "Why did you jump? I wasn't going to hurt you."

"You scared me. I didn't think anyone would be sitting in front of me." He just nodded. "Waking up here is different from home. I used to have hot water splashed in my face." He didn't really move. I gently sat back down on the bed. "Did you sleep good?"
Should I tell him I was afraid he was going to eat me? "There's no lock on the door." His eyes looked at the door, then back at me. "You dont need one here. I dont invite random people over. It's just you and me."
Swallowing my spit, "Can... can we get one?" He looked at me confused. I felt like I was making him feel bad. "It's not that I dont trust you...it will make me feel safer."
Danny crossed his arms and raised his eyebrow at me. "A 608 year old monster living in the same apartment as you doesnt beat a lock?" I quietly shurgged. "I can break locks. Even the whole door off if I wanted."
Waving my hands at him. "No! Dont. I'm sorry."
Shaking his head quietly, "You have to give me some kind of trust. What kind of animal do you think I am?"
     I wasnt going to answer that. "I didnt bring you here to eat you or make you the maid of this place. I brought you here to keep you safe. We managed to get away from the cops last night."
My eyes widened. "What?"
"Someone must have called about all the noise. I doubt it was the smell. I couldn't even smell anything after I cleaned up." Were the cops going to look for me? Or would they assume it's a family of crackheads that went to get more drugs. What was I supposed to do now? I was so lost in my own thoughts, I didnt even realize he pulled me next to him. His eyes looked gentle and caring. Danny wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close. My eyes looking up at him. He kissed me gently. I felt a little strange. Do I treat him like a normal person? Or a monster? He stopped kissing me and pushed me away. He got mad. "WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?!"