Chapter 5

Cold nipped Connor's frost bitten skin, he'd underestimated the cold. Thinking he could do just 2 days. He was wrong, snow had poured from the winter sky and he had not been prepared. He barely had enough clothes in the summer, and his bedroll wasn't meant to keep such harsh coldness out. Connor felt it in his soul, tonight he was either going to die from the cold, or be eaten by the beasts that lurked in it. Howls echoed through his mind, wolves. It was the last thing he needed now, he knew his death was due. Sleep eventually over took Connor, the last sleep he thought he'd ever feel.

Jolting awake Connor looked around puzzled. He was by a blazing inferno, and a wolf sat beside him. He eyed the beast, who apparently hadn't noticed his consciousness. He was in a new bedroll, packed with furs, this one was made for the cold. He saw his pack and bedroll a little length from his head.

"Hey, I see you're finally awake," Connor's eyes averted to the wolf.

"H-How can you speak?!?" Connor gasped.

"Oh yea, sorry I forgot to change to my normal form," the wolf oddly laughed.

His fur turned to flesh, and he turned into a pale young man, . He was odd, about Connor's age, but short, about 5,6.

"My name is Freddy, what about you?" He asked.

"Connor w-who are you?!?" Connor asked.

"I told you! Freddy," The pale man smiled, "Well if you mean the pale skin and weird looking hair then unlucky. Haha I'm what they call a mage, you know according to the town I grew up in's lore I was a kid who was swept away in the river. Apparently a bunch of people say I have a curse. Bull shit, I'm just a guy who can use magic, but lots of people say I'm a demon too... Whatever they call me both. I call me unlucky. I mean who else would be the one in one thousand? Me ugh and it sucks."

"You've got a mage's power! I'd be great full," Connor gasped.

"yea, but would you be so grateful when every turn there's some guy trying to chop your head off for being different?" Freddy yawned, "Well I suppose I can just go into a furry animal for warmth, cause that's an illusion spell, and illusion spells are my favorite type, I've practiced them a lot, so I'm pretty good too."

Freddy turned back into a grey wolf, and laid in the snow, lightly dozing off. Connor had never met a mage, only heard of them in tales. Only those who were blessed by the gods got the power, or cursed by the demons. Feeling he should get a good rest Connor laid his head back down in the bed roll and dozed off.

"Wake up Connor, it's time to go," Freddy ordered.

Connor's eyes snapped open. Freddy's emerald green eyes were rested on the fire. Early morning light made the boy's almost bluish looking hair gleam. Connor's bed roll was covered in a light sheet of snow. He brushed the snow off and say up.

"So where are we?" Connor asked.

"Around Antvilion I think. Maybe a 5 hours of walking away. Yea that sounds right, so where are you headed?" Freddy answered.

"Good! I'm actually going to Antvilion, what about you?" Connor smiled.

"Just out in the woods, haha not like I'm allowed in towns anyway. So Uhhh, can I follow you. Just until Antvilion?" Freddy asked.

"Sure, it's the least I could do for you saving my life!" Connor smiled.

He packed his belongings into his pack, and saw Freddy do the same. His bag was small, it could fit a bed roll, and a couple pieces of meat and a bottle of water. Nothing more, though it had a place specifically for a saddle to be tied when not being used. After the boys had finished packing and put out the fire they started walking.

Connor smelt the city before they got there, ale and roasted meat. Out of the snowy trees a large gate was visible. They were about to emerge from the trees when Connor felt a jab on his back. Turning around Freddy was there with a look of concern on his face.

"I recognize the guard, he's kicked me out before. It's probably best if we go to the south gate," Freddy warned.

Connor walked to the south side it wasn't much different, just a new guard, and a new gate. The guard eyed him, than opened the gate. The city burst with life, farmers were lined along the side holding bountiful boughs of crops. Connor smiled to himself and hummed a tune. He made a right turn into a bar, Drunken Pig's. The bar owner walked down to Connor. Staring him in the eye.

"Sir I've got relics, for sale," Connor said.

"Add a boy! Come upstairs to my room son," he smiled.

Connor followed the burly bartender up a rack of stairs. He swerved left from the rooms and walked into a large upstairs room. Filled to the brim with relics worth much. Connor set down his pack, pulling out the items he'd stolen. Including the ones from past town, not just the ones from the last town. The bartender looked at the items.

"Alright boy, how about 5 gold? Some of these are very nice!" The bartender smiled.

"7, lots of them are nice," Connor bargained.

"Sure boy, just give me the stuff. Alright here's the gold," he said.

Connor smiled and dropped the pieces of gold into his coin pouch, this would last him all winter. Connor walked down the stairs and paid for a room. He walked back up and set his bag and Freddy's on the bed. Freddy turned back into a human.

"What was that?!?" He asked.

"Business, I thought it was clear that I'm a thief," Connor smiled.

"What! I wouldn't have guessed that! Haha I guess I'll be sticking around then. I'd like to join you if that's alright," Freddy laughed.

"S-Sure!" Connor hadn't been prepared for the question, "why?"

"Well I've always wanted to be around someone, you know in towns too! Since you're a thief you'll be traveling a lot too and I love traveling! It's the perfect match!" Freddy smiled.

"Sure, but if you get caught I'm not bailing okay?" Connor sighed.

"Of course! Same for you though," Freddy smiled.

Connor sighed and laid on his bed, a few days ago he'd wanted nothing to do with a partner, or anyone in fact. He just wanted to steal, sell, repeat. And save his money until he could afford to be a merchant, and travel the road selling goods on his caravan. He realized now, that was but a young boy's dream.