Chapter 1

"Cap'n! A ship off the starboard bow! Royal Navy!" My look out shouts from atop the mast. The shouts of my crew and the noise of the ship all halts. The crew looks up at me. I hand the control to my first mate. My finely polished black boots click against the polished mahogany planks of my ship, The WindFlyer, I walk slowly with even measured steps.

"Well then, ready cannons! Let's give these royal sailors their first taste of what real sea legs are like!" With my words comes a shout of carnal joy from my crew. "Prepare for battle, ye sea dogs!" As captain of the most feared crew of pirates yet to sail, certain things are expected of me. I see my crew clip their masks into place, made of the deepest midnight blue silk--stolen of course-- that leave only our eyes visible. The Royal Navy ship approaches quickly, I can see the crew preparing their own cannons. I smirk as I take the helm. "Hold your fire! Await the signal!" I yell over the wind.

The tension as we pass the navy is palpable. We slowed our course as we got closer, I wanted to enjoy the look of their faces when they realized just who they were passing. The first shot rings out coming from my pistol. My aim sings true and suddenly there remains no captain of the Navy.

"FIRE!" A man on the opposing ship screams and pistol shots ring out. My hand goes up and with wicked delight slashes through the air, the signal my crew had been waiting for. I leave control to my second as I swing over to the enemy ship. Silent as a panther, I begin disarming cannons that face my own ship. I get out of there soon after, swinging back to The WindFlyer. The fool Navy men have forgot their own cannons, only seeming to remember them once ours ring holes through their hulls. Out of the corner of my eye I see a man swing over to our ship and engage with one of my pirates.

"Enough games," I murmur to my second. With that, I grab a vial of HellFire, a type of my own creation. I hurl it aboard the enemy ship and set us full speed ahead. It's not long before I hear the explosion, a victorious shout goes up from my crew as the face masks come down. I hear grunts from the back of the crowd and see the foolish boy who thought to swing over, evidently the only survivor of their crew. Perhaps not as foolish as I had thought. He is shoved down at the front of my crew, laughs at him echo round the ship. I jump down into my cabin through a passage I had made specially for me. I hear my second go down to him and speak.

"Do ye know where ye be now, boy?" My second asks.

"I am aboard a ship, most likely stolen, surrounded by thieving, plundering, cold blooded killers," the boy spits back. I smile slightly at that, though this ship was not attained through thieving, I had her made. My crew laughs at his words, I may be the only one who picks up on his language. Proper and prim, not the language of pirates and not the language of navy sailors either.

"Boy, ye are not aboard just any pirate ship," my second pauses, "have ye ever been privy to stories of The WindFlyer?" My second finished, a murmur of chuckles follow his words.

"A old sea wives tale, a ship run by the most merciless pirates who never leave survivors. A ship no man has ever seen and lived to tell the tale about, a ship never been breached by outsiders or taken by the Royal Navy. They say the captain is a black hearted, blood thirsty man who runs his ship like a military. No such ship or crew exists among you pirates," the boy spits like the words taste vile on his tongue.

I find that now would be an excellent moment to present myself. My blue mask is still in place as I throw the doors of my cabin open. A hush falls over my crew and I get my first good look at the boy. I walk slowly to him, relishing that the only sound is my boots echoing off the wood. I place a hand on the hilt of my sword and stop right before the boy, who had been shoved into a kneeling position. I study him intently, he looks well built but rather coddled. His appearance is well kept and finely trimmed.

I unclip my mask and let it fall from my face. I take my sword from its sheath and rest it under the boys chin, pushing it up so he is forced to look at me. "The stories you've heard are all true boy," I pause and spread my arms, "welcome aboard The WindFlyer."

He sputters for a few moments, flustered. "B-but you-you're a woman!" He says incredulously.

"That be the cap'n of this ship, boy. Ye would do well to not upset 'er," my second growls. I hold up my hand to stop my second from breaking the boys arms.

"Alright, princeling, what made you think it was a wise choice to board an enemy ship full of pirates? Oh don't look so surprised, your speech all but gave you away and I know a sigil ring when I see one. So now I'm left with a conundrum, what to do with you?"

"My family has gold, I can ensure you would be rich beyond your wildest dream, all of you could have your weight in gold," the boy says and my crew chuckles at him. I give him a cold smile of my own.

"You think we aren't all filthy rich? Boy, we all have enough gold to buy out your family and make them out servants!" I say with a laugh followed my my crews laughs. "No, I won't return you to your family, the question is whether I kill you or leave your sorry arse on an island."

"The entire royal armada will come looking for me, I can promise you that, but if you return me I swear upon my life and my crown no harm will come to you. I will say nothing about you or your crew," the boy says in an attempt to bargain for his life.

"See, that's the problem with you rich men. You all say you won't tell a soul but it's my crew, my reputation, my life's work on the line. I see no reason to risk all that on a mere prince," I cock my head at him and sheath my blade, "to the brig."