Chapter 33

Captain Astoria's PoV

I hate Pirates Cove. I hate docking my ship here, I hate dirtying my boots walking on the the ground of this piss poor island. I hate the sights and smells and screams of pain throughout the whole wretched place. For every good there is on Oneiro, the counterpart is here. But for my image and for my home, I will play the part that everyone wants to see. I will play the part of the pirate everyone thinks I am in order to protect what I hold close to my heart. I will gladly dock my ship here and dirty my boots and mingle with the scents and sounds if it means there can be light and joy elsewhere.

The WindFlyer is docked in the harbor of Pirates Cove. My crew will stay on deck while the meeting takes place. Ren, Andreas, and Draen follow me as I stalk through the city. I watch with distain as common thieves skitter across my path. I recognized the other lords ships in the harbor when we arrived. Recognized the flag they all bear. The black flag with white skull and crossbones on it. The same flag I refuse to bear on my ship. For one, it is a dead giveaway to any royal ship that we are pirates and also, it's just plain ugly. But the lords do like their flash, they're like a flock of male peacocks.

For some reason, it seems like no matter when I come to this place, there is a perpetual smog always casting its shadow over the dirt roads. The hovels that they call homes made from rotting wood, the taverns made from the same rotting wood and overflowing with the smell of beer and unwashed bodies. The whole city smells like piss and sweat. Beggars give me toothless smiles from where they lean, drunk, against buildings. I don't spare them a passing glance. Prostitutes claw at the sleeves of Draen and Andreas, trying to sell their wares. Some even look to Ren... until she shows them her pearly whites. None approach me, not when I have the look of murder in my eyes.

With our masks in place, my party of four matches through the dirt roads on the winds of death and destruction. All of us are armed to the teeth. I carry three swords and my pistol, Andreas has two pistols, two swords, and a battle axe, Ren has two swords, a set of brass knuckles, a pistol, and -- of course -- her teeth, and Draen has two pistols and two swords. We make our way to a lavishly styled albeit nondescript two story building. There are high arched windows of tinted and colored glass, gold trimmings around the door and windows, and the building is made of dark stones -- as are all of the buildings that are considered nice. Andreas knocks once before grabbing the knob and pushing the door open. The interior is styled much to the same lavish standards as the exterior. A large crystal chandelier hangs from the ceiling of the front room and more can be seen in every room branching off. The tops of the rooms are trimmed with crown molding. Fine leather lounge furniture is in this front room along with two bookshelves and imperial rugs. A fire roars in the fireplace near the windows, creating a stifling heat in the room.

I give Draen one more pointed glance and he returns the look with a terse nod before I kick my boot against the fireplace. I step back behind Andreas as the hinges creak and the door swings open. Andreas leads our party into the hidden meeting room, surveying it before allowing me to come in. I make a point not to look at the other fourteen pirate lords as they stand in respectful greeting. I stroll to the head of the table and place my hands on the worn wood as my chair is pulled out behind me. I do not thank whoever did it as I take my seat. I fold my hands on the table and finally take in the people in the room.

Fourteen pirates still standing with their eyes fixed on me. Their first mates are all armed as much as my own group but they only brought one with them. I move my head barely in an inch of a nod and the lords take their seats again. They hate me, I can feel their hate radiating out of them as much as I can feel the heat of the fire. I take a dagger from my belt and begin twirling it between my fingers as I watch them. I tap the blade once on the table and then return to my twirling.