Chapter 30

Draen's PoV

The moonlight reflects on the water. I watch the pirate. She sits there, so still. Not saying anything, not moving, just watching the city shrink. There is still blood on her face, on her hands, on her coat. For some reason, it doesn't bother me. I watched her kill that man and it doesn't bother me. And then, then I killed a man. I shot him right in the neck, because he was going to hurt Astoria. I killed him and watched as he fell to the ground, lifeless. And for some reason, that doesn't bother me either.

Maybe that makes me a monster.

Ropes are tossed over the edge of the WindFlyer and rowboats latch them onto pulleys before throwing them back up to the crew. Then they start pulling us upwards. The rowboats rock and jerk about as we are hoisted back to the ship. Once on deck, the masks fall to reveal the flushed and grinning faces of the crew. As Astoria's own mask falls, it's as if she snaps back into the roll of captain. No longer staring at the sea, no longer silent. She smiles and claps her hand on shoulders, congratulating them, cheering as treasure are unloaded onto the deck. But I know something is wrong, her face may say joy but her eyes still hold a haunted look about them.

A crew member runs up to her with a hammer and chisel in hand. The captain takes it from her with a nod before approaching the slaves who came with us. There are only seven of them, I don't get it. The slave house was huge. How could there only be seven that wanted to be free?

"Most of them were traded away before you arrived," the vandal boy says next to me. I look down at him, forgetting he was there. My confusion must have shown on my face for him to know what I was thinking. I take this opportunity to study him. The boy is maybe 15. He has blond hair, like Astoria's, and brown eyes. They, Astoria and this boy, have the same color skin. It is not surprising that they come from the same kingdom. "Kako," he says with a tip of his head. I nod to him but remain silent as I watch the pirate.

With the utmost and gentle care, Astoria kneels down on the deck. She places the chisel against the cuff of one of the former slaves. She glances up at the man briefly before she taps the hammer down. Three taps and the cuff pops free. She does his other ankle next. Then moves to the next person until all the shackles are open and empty. The captain drops the hammer and chisel on the deck. She picks up the chains and looks each person in the eyes once before dumping them over the side of the ship.

"You're free," she says softly but strongly. "You're free now." The former slaves look between themselves and one of the women starts sobbing. She takes one step toward the captain with an arm outstretched, hand trembling. As if that first step broke some sort of hold on her, she stumbles to Astoria and falls to her knees, pressing her forehead against the wood of the deck. The other six follow suit after her, silent tears streaming down some of their faces.

"Thank you," the woman sobs, "thank you." They all start saying it, murmuring the words like a prayer on their lips. Astoria shakes her head back and forth. She grabs their hands, each persons hand one at a time, and pulls them to their feet, still shaking her head.

"No, no. You bow to no one. Never again," she whispers so softly I nearly do not catch it. "Come," Astoria says as she leads them away. The seven now free people trail after her as if in a daze. I turn away, suddenly hit by how bone tired I am. It's been a long day.

"Kako, go talk to that big man, Andreas. He is the first mate and will get you settled here," I direct.

"And you're the captain?" the boy asks and I freeze. I nearly laugh.

"No, not me. The girl, she's the captain," I toss over my shoulder before walking into the captain's quarters. Let the boy think what he wants. A dark chuckle escapes my lips as I enter the bedroom. I pull my shirt over my head and take my boots off before I fall into the bed.