Chapter 8

Captain's PoV

Finally, finally home. My private residence. Everything is as I left it. The people in the city rejoiced upon my return. I had my crew unload the treasures from our months at sea and I gave them the list of how it was to be divided. Most of the spices and silks go to the artisans and crafters free of charge, despite their protests. Money is dolled out to the crew fairly. I take the smallest cut I can. In the beginning, yes money was important to me and to my survival, but now not so much. I have money and riches beyond my wildest needs. I don't need to continue taking large cuts that most captain's do. And, a small cut from the trove is still more than most people make in a year. I take most of the funds I earn and put them right back into this city. My city. Oneiro, a city built on dreams and hope. A city for healing and starting new.

I enter my bedroom and quickly strip out of the clothes stiff with salt and enter my bathing room. I fill the tub with warm water and sink low into the steam, a sigh escaping my lips and I scrub months of grime off my body. I take my time washing my hair too and just enjoying the relaxing silence I have not had for so long.

After some time, I get up and quickly dress in a red tunic and black pants. The silk shirt is embroidered with gold thread. Something I purchased from a shop here. I leave the lapels on the top open slightly and go about brushing my hair. Once I am satisfied, I slip on my standard black boots and check the time. Exactly an hour after I said I would return to the prince.

I knock softly on the door and wait a moment, not wanting to intrude. After a brief pause the door opens to a shirtless prince with wet hair. I blink once in surprise and then let my eyes trail down his shirtless form. Well toned and muscled. I smirk a little as I meet his eyes, his cheeks holding a soft pink tint to them. His eyes trail down my body for a second, lingering on my slightly exposed breasts and it becomes my turn to have a slightly pink tint to my cheeks as he raises his eyebrows. Fine. That's fair, I did ogle his body and he returned the favor.

"Your dinner escort," I say with a overdramatic and flourished bow. He chuckles slightly and disappears back into the room and pulls on a white shirt similar to my own. I, personally, prefer men's clothing, it's looser and easier to maneuver about in. Easier to sail in too. The prince shuts his door behind him and motions his head for me to lead. I walk him down the stairs of the home and out into the streets. He pauses after I shut my front door with a quizzical expression.

"Are you going to invite thieves into your home to steel your belongings, then?" I roll my eyes and take his arm, pulling him away.

"There is no crime here."

"I find that hard to believe. In case you were unaware, you let a crew of pirates loose in this city and you expect no crime to occur?" He asks as if I am daft.

"I am aware what my profession is. I am also aware of the price that was paid when a crime had been committed," I reply.

"And what price would you put on someone's head for crime? If I remember correctly, you commit crimes daily..." he trails off. His tone is not accusatory, in fact it seems rather lighthearted.

"Like I said, I know my profession. I also know how to keep pirates in line. This city, this place, is a place of peace. I provide the inhabitants with safety. Do you know how many crimes have ever been committed her?" I ask, my tone also lighthearted, but truth also paints my words. When the prince doesn't respond, I look up at him and smile, leaning in to his ear I whisper, "One." When I pull away, he looks shocked and surprised.

"When?" He presses. I wave my hand dismissively.

"Oh in the early days." He opens his mouth to speak again but I cut him off. "Ah, here we are," I say in reference to the restaurant. My favorite place to dine when I'm here. The exotic smells wafting to my nose. I just now feel the heat of the prince's arm below mine, remembering that I took it when we left the house. Feeling suddenly uncomfortable, I drop it as we walk into the restaurant. We are greeted by the hostesses warm smile and her face lights up when she sees me.

"Captain!" She says with a clap of her hands. "It's so good to see you again! And you've brought someone new with you, too. Your table is ready, just like always."

"Always good to see you too, Elena," I say giving her a warm smile as we climb the spiral, metal staircase. We reach the rooftop where the owner of the restaurant had a garden planted. Music drifts up from a pavilion below, as does the sound of laughter. I look over my city and smile to myself at the joy and life here. I watch as people dance in the open square. I don't pay much attention as the prince orders something off the menu. The staff here will prepare my usual.

When the steaming plates come, I find a familiar voice scolding me. "And how dare you not come find me," the owner, Arya, says with her hands on her hips. I roll my eyes at her but smile anyway. "Who might you be, boy?" She asks Draen, squinting one eye and shutting the other completely.

The prince sputters for a moment and looks at me. I shrug as if to say it's his call what he wants to go by. This is a whole city of new beginnings, after all. "Draen," he says, forgoing his formal title. I don't let it show, but I approve of this choice. I don't need the citizens of my city bowing and scraping to anyone. She doesn't say anything else, just nods and walks away with the promise of catching up with me later.

"Where is she from?" The prince asks with an amused tone.

"Rattaplan," I respond before digging into my food.

"She must have chefs from all over, the menu has food from every island in the archipelago."

"Nay, just one chef. One very talented chef." I chose a Roltem dish again and the prince, based on the scent of it, is eating the food of his homeland.

"People are laughing in the streets, children... people are dancing," he says as if he cannot fathom it. I swallow the food in my mouth and give him a somewhat pitied glance.

"Do they not do that where you a from?"

"I... they... I don't know." He sounds sad. Perhaps he is homesick or perhaps he's never heard the sounds of children laughing in Alture.

I spread my arms around me, "Welcome to Oneiro."