Chapter 16

Captain Astoria's PoV

"This is the last time I let you pick what I'm wearing, ever," I say scowling at myself in the mirror. Amma laughs, her voice like water sprinkling over a pond.

The dress she picked for me is floor length. It is made of midnight blue silk that begins to lighten the closer it gets to the floor, ending in a ocean blue color, and embroidered with small jewels that catch the light like stars. The star like effect goes from the floor and rises up to the bodice. They are jewels of green, purple, and blue with three red gem starbursts positioned at my left hip, just below my right rib, and over my left breast. The dress is sleeveless but high collared, with a band encircling my throat. It is also backless, showing off the tattoo the trails up my spine. The dress reflects my tattoo directly. The tattoo is made of blue, green, and purple stars all the way up my back with three red starbursts staggered. The dress is beautiful, no doubt. It is form fitting on top and flares out once past my waste, but it is not a wide set skirt, rather more streamline.

"Where did you even buy something like this?" I ask. Amma grabs my shoulders and directs me to a seat in front of the vanity as she begins to deal with my wavy blond tresses. Her own floor length gown is made of an emerald green fabric with lace all over it. It is form fitting throughout and has long sleeves but leaves her shoulders exposed. The dress hugs her curves in all the right ways and matches the emerald and diamond necklace that rests on her clavicles. A matching hair pin clasps her hair at the side in an updo.

"Oh I didn't buy it," she muses as she begins picking at my hair. "I made it just for you." A smile plays on her lips as she begins humming a little tune. I try and swat her hand away when she begins to grab pins. "Stop that," she hisses at me.

"I would like to be able to turn my head without thirty gold pins being shot everywhere," I huff crossing my arms. Amma snorts at that and begins braiding my hair.

"Don't start with me, I am content to let you parade around in men's clothing every other day so once a year you will put up with looking like a," she stops there and I swear she means to say princess, "a goddess." I roll my eyes but stop fidgeting and let her finish her work. She takes the half braid and twists it into some sort of intricate bun updo with a few curled tendrils framing my face. The rest of the curls are pinned up with the braid. I have to admit, Amma is good at what she does.

Once finished with my hair, she moves to my face and applies makeup. She leaves my natural complexion and doesn't apply and powder to it, for that, I am grateful. She only applies coal around my eyes and some paints along with a light color to my lips that accentuates their already rosy appearance. "Oh you look absolutely stunning!" Amma practically purrs at me. I give her a little laugh as I rise and start pushing her out of the room.

"I'll meet you down there in a few minutes, go keep the prince company," I say with a shove.

When Amma is halfway out the door she glances over her shoulder to yell back at me, "and wear the heels!" I stick my tongue out at her as I slam the door. Mother hen I laugh to myself. Amma is only three years older than me, but according to her, she is a lifetime older. I sigh as I put on the heels she picked for me, black, open-toed ones. I stand before my mirror and examine myself again.

I look good, I won't lie. The dress really is perfect and combined with my hair and the makeup, I really could pass for a goddess to put it as Amma did. There is something different about me though, like I appreciate the beauty I am wearing more than before. Last year I felt like just a girl, drowning in miles of fabric, but this year I feel like I am sailing in the fabric. Like I am in control. I feel... good.

With one last look in the mirror, I strut out of the room, my heels clattering against the floor and replacing the thud of my usual boots. I have to walk slower to accommodate the obnoxious shoes but eventually make my way to the stairs. With a deep breath, I round the corner and hear the voices of the prince and Amma having a casual conversation. I smile slightly for my friend as I begin to descend the stairs. The conversation stops and my shoes become the only sound echoing in the room. I feel slightly embarrassed with all eyes on me, odd because aboard the ship my crew is always looking at me, but I dare not lose my resolve now. I make eye contact with Amma who is beaming at me before looking to the prince who seems surprised and pleased to see me. The smile remains on my face as I reach the floor.

Prince Draen looks nice in his suit of black with a red undershirt. He leaves the top two buttons undone to reveal part of his chest. The suit outlines his muscular upper body well and he has a slight shadow of a beard. His hair is slicked back but curls slightly toward the bottom.

There is a beat of silence before I speak. "Shall we go then?" I ask, tilting my head in the direction of the front door. The sun has set by now and festivities will begin shortly. Amma practically skips out the door, and she acts like I'm the child, I think with a slight roll of my eyes. The prince hangs back and waits for me.

"Lead the way," he says with a gesture of his hand to the now open door. I swear I can see the hint of a smile on his features. His arm remains extended as I fall into step beside him. It then curls around my back but does not touch it, rather it hovers just above. So close that I can feel the heat of his skin against my exposed back.

We leave the house and enter the cool night air, I nearly trip when my heel gets caught in a crack between stones and I scowl, cursed shoes. The prince catches me before I fall and links his arm with mine. I dip my head in silent thanks. I don't bother detaching myself as we walk to the heart of Oneiro, only to ensure I do not fall again I tell myself in my head even as the smallest blush rises on my cheeks, so slight that you would not even notice it if you looked.