Chapter 10

Draen's PoV

I sit in the lavish room of the two-story home in some twisted form of awe. The city... what did the girl call it? Oneiro, is filled with beauty and laughter. Not a very large island, really just the expanse of the city with a few outlying farms but the people seem happy here. The night is filled with the sound of music and soft waves crashing against the shore. No screaming, no sounds of murder, there is peace here. I... I do not understand. The girl is a pirate, yet they call to her like a savior, like a friend. She has the blood of innocents on her hands and yet she looks upon these people with a caring face. I watched her beat a man to the brink of death but under her eyes this place has grown and I do not understand it.

The door clicks open softly and a small girl enters. She has a kind face, long brown hair, green eyes, and tanned skin. She is rather pretty, if I do say so myself. Perhaps she will help me escape this island and return home, if I can only retrieve a map and a small sailing boat I think I could make it, given proper provisions. The girl carries clean linens in her arms and sets them down on a small table. She gives me a kind smile and I decide to make my move.

"What is your name, lovely," I attempt at flattery, she gives me a winning smile in return and blushes slightly.

"Amma," she replies, her voice like a warm sea breeze. Her accent suggests she's from Alture and my eyes widen. The last time I heard the accent of my lands, the pirate girl was beating the living daylights out of one of my subjects. This could play to my advantage.

"Amma, you are simply lovely," I purr. She blushes again as I continue. "Perhaps you should like to help me and in return, I can help you."

"I do not know what you mean," she says, her brows creasing, but the fact that she has asked for clarification is a good sign in my eyes.

"How would you like to go home, Amma?" I inquire. Her eyes widen and I give her a dazzling smile.

"This is my home," she says firmly and backing away a step.

"No, my dear, I mean your true home. I mean Alture," I say gently. I thought it not possible for her eyes to her any wider, but I am proven wrong. I push on, attempting to win her over. "All I require is a small sail boat, a map, and some provisions and I can get us there. You could come with me, I can promise you when we get there you can be made very wealthy and a loving husband would find you."

"I am happy here, Oneiro is my home and has been my home for almost 7 years," she replies with her hand over her heart, eyes darting around the room. I begin to frown now, not understanding once again. Why would she not want to go to her true home?

"My name is Prince Draen Malve Alture, help me get home and you can become a very happy woman," I offer up. Something dawns in her eyes, recognition flickering like a candle. Perhaps now she will see reason.

"Prince," she breathes, "I am sorry but this is my home now. I will not betray it."

"And what is so great about this city? What is to love about that pirate girl?" I demand now.

"The Captain has created this city for us. She loves us and requires nothing in payment. We are safe here!" She starts, beginning to get angered now. "Do you see the city? Do you see the beauty and the peace here? It is not like this elsewhere. There is art and music here. There is no crime and there are no Kings or Queens, no lords or ladies or nobles weighing down upon us. The people rule and everyone has a voice. We all rule the city. And the Captain! Do not disrespect her so. She has saved us! Each and every one of us. She rescued me! Me and every other person living in this beautiful slice of heaven in a horrible world. Everyone in the city is willing to lay down their lives for the Captain! She is everything good and kind in this world!" I begin to open my mouth to object to that but the girl rolls up the sleeve of her tunic and displays her forearm where a crude tattoo had been inked.

"I was a slave before the Captain found me! She came with her crew in the dead of night, pillaging and plundering. I was a slave in a nobles home when she arrived. Me and my fellow slaves were all forced to protect our 'lord' with our lives. We thought we were going to die that night! And you know what? When the Captain broke into our home she took one look at our cowering forms and offered us a choice. Offered us a life. She did not even consider the treasure in the home until we had all been skirted away.

"We thought surely she was going to simply sell us off again. But when we got on that boat, the first thing she did was break off the chains around our ankles and then she spoke to us. Words that I had never even dreamed of. 'You're free' she told us. I broke down in tears. Free. 12 years as a slave and I was finally free. She brought us here, to her city, and she told us we could be whoever we wanted. She has let all these refugees take the time to heal. Everyone has a home. Everyone has a life. We are allowed to heal. So don't you dare speak bad about the Captain! And don't you dare ask me to betray the only person who has ever cared weather I live or die! You can find a place here, too. There is room for everyone. Why do you wish to hurt her so?" The girl has silent tears streaming down her cheeks but she presses on.

"Do you know how a girl barely of age became respected and feared among pirates?" She hisses at me. "She is kind to people who do not deserve kindness! She is kind to those who are misunderstood and hated and in return, they are loyal to her. She gives them reason to be loyal, to care who they follow. Then she gives them reason to keep in line." I blink once in shock... then the rage follows.

"That pirate kills people! She has blood on her hands!" I spit, flinging my arm out. The girl begins to fume as she yells back.

"She has not killed anyone who did not deserve it!" I clench my hands into fists at my side. "Good night, prince," she bites at me with a vicious venom, turning away to the door to leave me with my thoughts.

"She killed a 14 year old girl! Eight years ago!" I finally say in one last attempt to make her see reason.

The girl stops, she blinks, "We know her story. Everyone here knows her story. What 'innocent' girl did the Captain kill?"

"Astoria Linnea Roltem!" I yell my betrothed's name. Amma blinks at me again and cocks her head, confusion paints her features. A bone chilling silence has followed my outburst.

"Astoria Linnea Roltem is not dead," she says after a while. Her voice rising in pitch at the end as if it is a question.

"I saw the locket and sigil ring. Princess Astoria Linnea Roltem is certainly dead," I say, calm now. A miserable sort of defeat has entered my body.

"Yes, Princess Astoria Linnea Roltem is dead," Amma says after a moment. "But Captain Astoria Linnea Roltem is very much alive."