Chapter 29

Captain Astoria's PoV

Once night has fallen, I begin to prepare for the raid that is going to take place. We always work in the dead of night, people in their beds have little protection and are less likely to get a real look at us. I strap my sword belt around my waist and holster my pistol as well, on the belt are also three vials of hellfire. My hair is twisted up and tucked under my hat while a bulky coat -- different from my captain's coat-- will hide my feminine figure. Tried and true precautions that keep my identity safe. That, mixed with the midnight blue mask that covers everything but my eyes have kept me hidden thus far. I am always more nervous when it's Roltem, always fearing I will see my father or mother. Fearing more that they will recognize me and clamp the chains right back around my wrists again. I shudder before shutting those thoughts away, it will be fine. It always is fine.

"You can stay on the ship with the remaining crew," I say, "you don't have to come with us." Draen crosses his arms and looks bemusedly at me. I don't need him reminding me that he had to carry me to the bed after I collapsed in the dinning room, he already used it as a reason why I shouldn't be going ashore. Being tired won't stop me, though.

"And if I wanted to come?" Draen inquires. I am taken aback a bit, the prince wishes to engage in piracy? Considering how venomously he claimed to hate me and accused me of being a lying, black-hearted wench, I find this to be a bit ironic. Not that he need know that. He also doesn't need to know that a small part of me is pleased that he would want to join us.

"Then you may join us, if that's what you want," I say with a half shrug of my shoulders. He bears his teeth in a somewhat carnal smile that has me raising an eyebrow and rolling my eyes. The prince doesn't speak again, rather he grabs the spare sword out of the corner of my room and straps it on. He then begins to search for a pistol. My shoulders shake with a silent laugh as I watch him. Peculiar indeed. I stride out of the bedroom and into the dinning area where I begin to dig around in one of the chests.

Once the prince is satisfied with his tools of piracy, he exits the bedroom. His shoes sit in my peripheral vision as he stands there. I feel his eyes seeming to bore holes into the side of my face as I continue my search. I pause once my hands catch what I have been looking for and glance up for a moment. Draen has tied his hair up into a low knot; he changed his shirt too, now wearing a black tunic as opposed to white along with his black pants and boots. He braces his hands on his hips as he continues to watch me. I swallow, right. What I had been looking for.

I rise from my kneeling position, holding the object in my hands as I do. I look into Draen's deep blue eyes and suck in a deep breath. "Here," I say, thrusting the object out to him while opening my hands. His eyes dart down and he looks pleasantly surprised at what I'm offering. It is a blue silk mask. One that matches mine and my crews. The prince gently picks it up and, with careful hands, clips it up. "If you're going to raid with us, it's only right that you look like us." Taking a step back, I examine the prince. He looks anything but now. His hair long, his face tanned, workers boots and pirates clothes, and a blue mask which brings out his eyes. Perhaps not a prince anymore, perhaps he is something different.

Without another word, I spin on my heel and strut out of the room. The deck is silent as the crew who will be raiding makes final preparations. About two thirds of the crew is going, the remainders staying behind to guard the ship. They will raise the alarm if anything goes amiss and those of us in the city will make out way back here as fast as we can. The safety of the ship is never really a concern, it's more the safety of those of us on shore, but it does my heart good to know the WindFlyer is safe.

The prince and I walk side by side to the port side of the ship where four rowboats are now hanging over the edge of the ship. I climb into the front one with casual ease. My crew looks viscous and deadly with their masks in place. Trained killers and thieves, and I suppose that's exactly what we are. My first mate joins me in this boat, along with the prince, Ren, and several other members of the crew. Once all four are fully loaded with people, we begin the descent into the waters below. The crew on deck watches as we sink, holding one hand up in parting. I don't know what they think or what they believe will happen, but there are never any goodbyes done on the ship. We are not saying goodbye, we are saying see you later because we will make it back. There is no room for thoughts that we won't.