18 | Let Them

COLE

We were looking at the stars again. Well, Rochelle was. I was too busy staring at her profile. I can't believe she's mine now.

"Cole," Rochelle whispered. I stared at her intently. She moved so she was directly in front of me.

"Do you believe in soulmates?" Rochelle asked. I stared at her bewildered. That was an unexpected question. I decided to answer honestly.

"I don't know. I never found the right girl." I murmured as I played with a lock of her soft brown hair.

Until now.

Rochelle fiddled with her fingers.

"There's something I need to tell you and I don't know how you'll react to it."

Okay?

I nodded my head to encourage her.

"You're my-"

I woke up to a crash.

Really? What the hell!?

Fate just loves pestering me.

"Suzie! How many times have I told you not to run in the house?" Mom shouts.

I heard little mumbles in response. I rolled my eyes. Of course Suzie would crash into something. I just hoped it wasn't mom's prized vase. Suzie would never hear the end of it.

Groaning, I got up to see Rochelle.

My girlfriend.

I can't stop the grin from escaping. She's finally all mine. No one is taking her away from me. Not without a fight. For the first time, I felt complete. That life couldn't get any better than this.

I knock on the guest room door gently before opening the door. I see a small lump on the bed rising up and down. I smile softly and walk to the sleeping creature. I move the blanket away from her face.

For the millionth time, I admire her form. She looks so calm and at peace, I don't have the heart to wake her up. But I have to, if we don't want to miss school again.

I gently shook her awake. Rochelle stirred and fluttered her eyes open. When she spotted me, she gave me a smile.

"Morning." she greeted.

"Good morning." I say in a husky voice. I saw her shiver and suppressed a smirk. I liked knowing I had an effect on her.

"Come on. We're going to be late for school. It's Thursday. Only today and tomorrow and we're on break." I cheered.

Spring break was coming up and I was excited to spend some time with my friends and my girl.

"You're too peppy this morning." Rochelle groaned but got up anyway.

Leaving her alone, I get ready myself. I shower and put on some clothes, then go downstairs to get some breakfast for us.

"Morning Mom and Dad." I greet as I grabbed an apple and took a huge bite out of it.

"Morning son." they greeted. I looked around.

"Where's Suzie?" I ask.

"She's in her room on time out, pouting about breaking a vase when she was running down the hallway. She should be grateful it wasn't my vase." Mom exasperated.