28 | Flame

COLE

After a lot of arguing, we agreed to leave at seven. Even though I wanted to leave immediately, Henry was afraid of daylight exposure. I knew I was thinking irrationally, but I insisted we would leave at before sunset.

I kissed my mom goodbye. She would be staying here with Erica and Suzie, while Dad, Kyle, and Henry came with us.

"Be careful sweetie. Bring Rochelle back safe, alright?" Mom asked. I nodded in agreement and hugged a pouting Suzie, promising that we would play when I get back.

As I pulled away from Suzie's tight grip, I was tackled by Erica.

"Bring my little flower back," she whispered. I hugged her tightly. I knew she was reliving the months she went without seeing Rochelle, but I was determined to get her back. Pulling away, I went to the door where Kyle was standing.

For a few minutes, Kyle and I were standing by the door, looking at everyone prepare for tonight.

"Do you think the girls are alright? I don't know what I would do if we lost Rochelle again. Especially Sabrina. I know I just met her, but she means the world to me. The dreams only make things worse," Kyle confessed.

I nodded in agreement, thinking of my own dreams with Rochelle.

"The girls will be fine. They will be in our arms soon Kyle, I know it." I say confidently.

He gave me a small smile and left when one the men called his name.

We were getting into our vehicles when Henry stopped me.

"Cole," he stopped for a second. "I need you to promise to bring my daughter back. I can't lose her again. None of us can handle going through it again." he said with glazed eyes.

I nodded, the determination in my eyes.

"I won't let you down sir," I vowed.

Together, we get in our jeep and drove away with the other cars trailing behind us.

***

ROCHELLE

Dylan.

"Dylan? Why?" Sabrina whispered betrayal and anger in her eyes. "How could you do this to us? Your friends!"

Dylan looked at her with pain filled eyes and shook his head rapidly.

"I-I had no choice. I'm so s-sorry. If Cole does come, I have to stop him. I don't want this any more than you do." he placed the trays on the floor and left the basement.

Something is wrong with Dylan.

"What did Dylan mean by that?" Sabrina asked, some of the anger leaving her eyes.

I looked at her sadly and shook my head, signaling I had no clue. But we both knew now. Dylan would've never done this, it wasn't in his personality. Something pulled him into this world and I don't think it means anything good when he is working for Derrick. We pick up the trays and start eating. I think about it as I ate a stale piece of bread.

Dylan never acted strange or irrational. This had to be recent for this to have happened. I spoke my thoughts to Sabrina and she nodded in agreement. We would give him the benefit of a doubt unless he proves us wrong.

After we finished eating, the door opened and Derrick walks in.

"Our ceremony will start in an hour. Be ready." He said with a joyous smile.