24 | New Pairs

ROCHELLE

The rest of spring break was quiet. Cole and I spent as much time as possible together while I caught up with my family. Nothing had happened since I left- they were too busy trying to find me. 

Hearing the tone in their voices made my heart clench.

We planned different scenarios if I was ever confronted by Derrick. Cole will be there since he was supposed to stay by my side. I don't mind that. It's more of the fact I still have to attend school since it's my senior year.

My parents insisted I still get my education while I was here. That even with a madman catching me, I couldn't lay around the house.

"Get a good future," they said.

"You'll live," they said.

"It'll be fun," they said.

What liars. It made me roll my eyes at their hypocritical nonsense. First, they were determined to keep me on lockdown and the next they are telling me to leave? I had a feeling Cole convinced them for my sake. He knew I could stay in his household for so long before I combusted.

It was Monday and time to get ready for school. I turned and looked at the empty side of my bed with a frown.

Dad and Kyle demanded that we stayed in different rooms. They insisted that it was to make sure Cole and I didn't get any "ideas". 

Overprotective brutes. 

I missed sleeping next Cole. His arms that wrap around me to help me feel warm and safe as I fell asleep. Since Cole and I have been sharing a bed, it was hard to adapt to not having him by my side with useless turning and snuggling. I can barely sleep at night.

Of course, my father and brother won't get that through their thick heads.

Exhausted, I regretfully got up and took a shower. I put on jeans and a peach tank top before running downstairs, hoping Cole was already there.

I spotted Cole in the kitchen, vaguely aware of my parents. His eyes immediately made contact with mine and I felt my body sing in excitement. I ran straight towards him. Cole catches me just in time and pulled me towards him tightly. I sigh, content. I needed this.

"Morning," I mumbled to Cole and kissed him quickly on the cheek. He just sighed in response, laying his cheek on my head.

"No touching and kissing in the kitchen!" Dad commanded. I groaned and nuzzled my face into Cole's chest in defiance.

"Henry! Leave them alone. You seem to forget we were just like that when we were teenagers-we still act like that. You never heard my father scolding you. Don't be hypocritical." Mom reprimanded.

You go Mom. I sent her a grateful look, which she reciprocates by sending a wink my way.

Dad pouted and thankfully left the subject alone. I went to put my sandals on as Cole collected our things for the day. We said our goodbyes to everyone and went to school.

------------------------------------------------------------

"Rochelle!"Sabrina squealed.

"Sabrina!" I mimicked. She gave me a playful glare.

"We haven't talked to each other since the beach. We are hanging out after school." she declared. I rolled my eyes but didn't comment. She's stubborn as a mule.

"I'm tagging along." Cole butted in as he intertwined our fingers together. Sabrina rolled her eyes.

"Sorry Cole, you are not coming," Sabrina scoffed. "It's girl's time. Not girl's time with Cole."