Baffling Mysteries

Waiting for Adrean to return was a bore. I decided to walk around a bit, trying to do my job properly this time.

Fleeting in the crowd, I was taken by surprise at the sudden prick of something around my shoulder, followed by the feeling of getting sleepy. A pair of arms surrounded me, carrying me amongst the crowd.

Now, what they didn't realize was that the toxins they fed my body would be instantly neutralized. Depending on the power of the drug, my blood could purify anything. The drug they used on me was not that strong, and I patiently tried to wait for my body to be on full health.

It took them two minutes to bring me towards the back alley where Denaldi Frost was found dead.

"She's got nice tits," a gutteral sound came from one of the men.

"Maybe we could have a bit of fun before we drain her," the one carrying me suggested.

Panic rose from deep within me. I tried to struggle, praying to Father to save me from the men.

One touched my right breast, massaging it carefully.

"Ah, feel them peaking," the one holding me went on.

I heard the sound of zippers flying, and I forced myself to open my eyes. In my weak state, I managed to land a weak punch on the man fondling me, followed by a small tug.

"Fuck, she's awake," the gutteral voice spoke.

In that instant, my body reacted instinctively. Though I was still slightly whoozy, I swung away, kicking the guy in the groin. I followed it with thrusting a punch at the guy's face.

"You bitch!"

I knocked the other guy out by pinching a pressure point around his neck, making him slump on the ground.

I didn't realize that the guy I punched didn't want to give up. I didn't notice his presence due to my smug victory until he gave me a sniper hold. Yet, it was quite too quick when he released me. I turned around to see Adrean, anger and chagrin cleat in his expression.

"You treat women with respect," he hissed loudly. He took out something from his pocket, stabbing it against the man's shoulder.

"Don't be a baby," he spat as the man howled in pain. "It's just a small wound." Adrean followed it by knocking the guy out of his misery. Turning to me, he asked, "Are you okay?"

"Yes," I gasped, still feeling the adrenaline coursing through my veins.

He traced the contours of my face, whispering, "I have to leave. Will you be okay out here?"

"Yes,"  I stated, quite surprised in his trust in me after a near rape incident.

"That's good," he smiled.

Walking backwards, he said, "Take care of yourself...Anariel."

I was bewildered with his use of my name. Turning around, I asked, "How did you - seriously? Magical disappearing act?"

Yep, he was gone.

I decided to mull it over later by calling Uriel. We exchanged a quick report, followed by him saying that he and Carrie were on their way.

"Job well done," he said, pulling one of the guys up. He placed them on his shoulder, pouting at the blood visible on the other guy, who was actually wearing a white shirt. Looking at Carrie, he went on, "We'll take it from here."

"Well, excuse me," she stared him down, "I am the PI assigned to investigate this situation. If you want to get rid of me, I suggest you let me interrogate this man as to why he's draining teenagers. You might have the gooey magic here, but, the NYPD still has the majority rights to solve this case."

"I gotta agree with her on this one," I voted, earning a glare from Uriel.

Carrie smirked, her expression triumphant.

1.1.1.

My headphones were on my ears and my MP3 Player playing in full volume, I drowned away the tortured sounds coming from the man they've been interrogating for hours now.

I was sitting on my purple bed, reading Vampire Knight by Matsuri Hino. The song was, coincidentally, from the anime itself. Okay, maybe not. I just felt that playing the first intro was appropriate.

I was actually in the first few minutes of the interrogation, curious as to who he worked for. He didn't break, but he managed to spill some information about the Blood Drug. Apparently, he gathers blood from different species, concentrate them in a certain heater and adds small bits of Fey dust, creating a lucious concoction. They were being sold to the black market. Aside from that, nada.

Stingy carcass.

Now, frustration at who Adrean is was bothering me. He was mysterious; I couldn't feel anything from him.

Ever since the encounter of Denaldi Frost's body, I could feel the type of mythical aura one was projecting, such as whether he or she was a Kappa or something. From him, I felt nothing. I felt not the aura of a human, Nephilim nor vampire. He was definitely no wolf.

I needed answers. I needed someone with the knowledge of who or what Adrean is. You see, what I hate the most was being in the dark. I liked to be in the know of things, especially when it concerned me so much. With him messing with my head, he definitely needed to give me the answers I craved for.

I carefully checked the mattress of my bed. Underneath it, I hid some contacts of the Fallens who regretted turning from our Father. I took it from Jibrel's desk when he was not paying attention around three years ago. I actually planned to return it but never had the time to do so. It seemed like a good idea to search for information right now.

The book was like an old piece of travelling journal. Opening the velvet brown case, the organized handwriting of Jibrel and his alphabetically arranged information made me smile.

"Let's see," I began, tracing through the pages. "Metatron, the letter M... Letter M... Hmmm..."

And then I spotted it.

Metatron, Heavenly Scribe
- Information from all over the world
- Resides in Washington D. C.
- Works in the National Library of Congress
- Currently under the name of Martin Le Cheremaux

"French, I see..." I grinned.

Operation Bookworm, start!