Love and Forgiveness

The realization sucker punched me. Without looking at Sariel, I wandered aimlessly around New York.

I was currently penniless. With the office a few miles away, I walked my version of the walk of shame, trying to recall the direction the cab took me through. I still didn't unlock the photographic memory my brothers were known for. Hopefully, I'll get that soon.

By the time I arrived, it was already sun down. My feet were tired and sore. My head was aching. I was sweaty.

I climbed the window quietly as I could. The moment o reached the top floor, I halted my steps, seeing Mike kneeling on the floor. He was clutching my blankets, his head lying on the mattress.

My climbing over the window sill was clumsy, and I made a soft thud on the floor. He looked up quickly, plucking me easily from the window. He engulfed me in a tight hug, breathing heavily.

Something wet slid down his cheek. I pulled away and nearly gasped at his face. His eyes were red with tears brimming down his eyes. He looked paler than usual, and his eyes were swelling.

He hugged me again and whispered shakily, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

"You don't hate me?"  I asked, surprise.

Mike pulled away to kiss my forehead. Explaining in his hoarse voice, he said, "Oh, I was mad, I was livid by your attitude, but, I'll never hate you."

I blushed. I lowered my head in shame. I was so embarrassed with my display a while ago that I didn't want to look at him in the eye.

Mike tilted my chin, and our eyes met. He held the love of family in his eyes, whispering, "Never lower your eyes, Mizuki. You are Anariel, God's chosen daughter. You do not lower yourself to anyone but Father alone."

"I'm so sorry," I mumbled.

Mike took me in a deep embrace. I was nervous because of my new understanding of my feelings for him. He was my light - the fire to my water. He was my support and my love.

And if I were to reveal these feelings, I would only destroy the bond of kinship between us. Besides, he loved - no, loves Joan of Arc.

You see, an angel would only love two people completely in their lives: God the Father and their other half. Joan was his, and I couldn't replace her.

From that moment on, I decided to hide my feelings from him. Revealing it would destroy the peace around the office, and it would create discord within.

And, speaking of discord...

"I met Sariel today."

Mike stiffened, his eyes darkening.

"Did he do anything to you?" He asked cautiously.

I shrugged. "We kinda had a heart to heart talk. He hates you for 'stealing' me."

He snorted adorably. "I'm your brother. It's my job to protect you at all costs." He proceeded to caress my hair with his gentle fingers.

We proceeded to talking casually about anything, trying to keep the mood light. Along the way, I managed to convince him to read Cassandra Clare's series. His Reactions were positively hilarious.

"Shadowhunters? Cheesy name."

"Raziel? Kind? Helpful? Please, he was nothing like that."

"That's it? You don't get to play whack-a-mole with the sword? Come on! Swords are used for war."

At that time, I pulled the book from his hand and said, "If you can't be nice about it, don't bother reading."

He stuck out his tongue childishly.

Wow. He must really wanted to get on my good side to act like a kid.

He chuckled. "My sister, the fangirl."

"Jace is hot." I threw.

He shook his head. "Nah, I think Alec is hotter."

I smacked him on his chest lightly and laughed. "Don't! I know you're not gay."

He rolled his eyes. "Unlike you, I still know how to appreciate beauty despite my confidence in my sexuality."

"Did you just semi-quote Jace?"

"Pfft, he has nothing on me."

"I beg to differ..."

We argued about the characters - Lightwood versus Herondale goodness. Of course, he won the argument. His fact-finding was second to Jibrel.

"I'm still a Herondale."

A loud crash followed by what I could assume was Fiel's gutteral cry, Mike and I rushed out to see a casual Dmitri, sitting on top of Raph.

"I tried to stop him, I swear," Keterina said behind me.

Mike crossed his arms with a condescending look. I looked at Dmitri, who shrugged and replied, "It was rather that or the windows upstairs."

"This just proves how much he's my nephew. What a -"

Fiel was cut off by a sucker punch to the face with Dmitri saying, "Shut up, old man." Heading towards me, he said, "Where were you? Our sources told us -"

"Hold up," I raised my hand to stopnhim from going on. "You had someone watch over me? Who?"

"Some Nephelim older than me by a few centuries," he replied hastily. "Anyway, what did Sariel want this time?"

I blushed, remembering about my thoughts that led to Mike.

"He's...possessive issues...annoyingly..." I explained reluctantly.

"Oh, so, you're talking to us now?" Fiel tolled his eyes and eyeing the rest of us, daring us to challenge his words.

"Lucifer," Jibrel spoke in his Messenger voice. "Leave her alone. If you're mad at her, keep it to yourself. I have enough on my plate."

I bit my bottom lip.

"Guys," Mike sighed, frustrated, "I'm sure Mizuki is just feeling the pressure to prove herself to us. Don't forget how each of us tried to shine like the sun." He eyed Fiel specifically.

"Don't go there, Michael," Fiel began to fume.

"Then, drop it." Mike turned to me with a small smile.

I smiled back and mouthed a thank you, which he threw a thumb up.

"Don't ignore me!" Dmitri cried.

Keterina rolled her eyes. "I'm fine being ignored. Used to it to the first dozen years of my life."

"I still love you, no matter how twisted your family is," Dmitri cooed.

I pretended to gag in the background as the couple continues exchanging romantic phrases.

"By the way," Keterina said lightly, "we broke the guy and got information."