Walls

"Do you think I'll let someone underaged like you to travel to Washington D. C. without a parental guidance?" Carrie tapped her toes impatiently, sending a glare in my direction.

We were in a plain room of caramel brown with a certificate hanging proudly on the left wall. On the right was a shelf with tons of awards and tropheys. In the center was a grey desk with papers and a name plate in golden letters engraved on a black metal. Behind the desk was a filing cabinet with different labels too small for me to read.

I muttered under my breath, "The lady doth protests too much."

"Ms. Ange," she said, and I didn't correct her, too exasperated to bother, "I am a PI. I might have segregated myself away from my actual family, but, I am still part of the circle we call law enforcers. I keep what we call 'law' in order, making sure no one toes it. Unlike most PIs, I don't meddle with the underworld unless it's the lesser evil. Do I make myself clear?"

"But, Carrie," I rationalized, "there might be someone out there who knows about these killings. Trust me that this guy -"

"Are you zeroing on a suspect? Who is he? How do you know this?"

Oh...fudge.

I bit my bottom lip. Dang, my mouth.

"He's some sort of a computer genius, a lot smarter than Jibrel," I replied slowly.

Cassie nodded her head with a blank look. Crossing her arms in front of her, she said, "Oh, so, he's illegally hacking into our system to know everything. Who does he work for?"

Ship, ship, ship... Where was my smart mouth when I needed it?

"Just, please, listen," I begged.

She took out her phone, dialling a number. I tried to smack it away, but, the fact that she was taller than me had me at a disadvantage. The way she spoke had my breath caught in my throat.

"Uriel, your sister is here with me." There was a pause, followed by a, "Okay. I'll drop her there." She turned to me, dragging me into a car similar to Mike's.

I already knew I lost, for I saw that she was determined to bring me home.

I was silently fuming, thinking of ways to mutilate her body so she'd end up unrecognizable and ugly.

Carrie dropped me off Ange, and without looking at her, I stormed into the office. My anger was melted with fear the moment a furious Mike stood, his arms crossed as he tapped his foot in front of him.

Everyone seemed to be doing that lately.

"Explain," Mike barked angrily.

With fright, I started the whole truth about getting the book from Jibrel, leaving out some parts about Adrean. When I was finished, disappointment was written in Mike's expression while Jibrel looked hurt.

Fiel looked torn, as if he was happy I was starting mischief while sad that I did what I did.

It was Uriel who stepped up. Stretching his hand towards me, he said, "Phone and wallet. Now."

My eyes widened. "What?"

"You're grounded," he stated.

"I've never been grounded," I exclaimed with utter shock and agitation.

"You are now," Mike spoke calmly with anger still radiating off of him. "Since you wanted to act like a petty sinful human, you deserve to be punished. Lying and thievery are not tolerated here."

"Fine," I glared at them. I got my wallet and phone, throwing them on the ground. The phone smashed loudly, its tiny bits and pieces scattering around.

"Anariel!" Jibrel exclaimed in surprise and anger.

I looked up at them angrily, matching their expressions. I was not afraid to challenge them, and I bit back, "Don't call me for meals. I'll be sleeping in." I stumped upstairs, slamming the door angrily.

I was not the type to give up. Just as Fiel taught me, I always had a contingency plan. I opened the drawer of my desk and found a few dollars enough to get me somewhere. I didn't want to stay. With my anger simmering still, I ran out through the window. Admittedly, I was too angry to admit my fear of heights.

I crept quietly, walking around a bit.

I decided to go to East River Park. It was very far from home, but, that place always made me feel peace.

I took a cab and instructed the driver to fall through my orders. While he drove, a tear slid down from my eye.

I cried silently with each passing moment until we reached the place. I gave him with all the cash I had. The cab driver soon left me to my devices.

Staring off into the horizon for a while, I enjoyed whatever peace I had, until I felt the change in the winds.

I closed my eyes. "What do you want, Sariel?"

Sariel's presence just felt closer. Opening my eyes, his expression turned from triumph to fury.

"Did they hurt you?" He took my face gently between his hands, concern on his expression.

He looked...different. His horns were slightly smaller, his ashened skin slightly more...human. His eyes were still cat-like, but, I ignored it completely because of the expression he wore.

And I remembered every pain he gave me.

"Why do you care?" I spat. "You hate me, I hate you; call it even. You want to take me to he'll? Fine. Take your chance now."

His expression turned blank. "You don't understand. I pined for you since our first meet, Anariel. You were always surrounded by the Five, always the center with Azariel.

"When you told me you harbored feelings for me, I knew that I would do everything in my power to keep you.

"As always, Michael interfered. You valued him above others; still do.

"Why?"

Why?

I didn't know.

Why?

Why, why, why, why...

And then, realization hit me.

Though I've been fighting it, it was always with me. I denied my feelings by turning to another. My feelings for Mike were anything but sisterly.

I always wanted him to look at me like an equal. I loved his attention, especially when he hugs me in his arms. I loved how he kissed me every time I seen him, always wanting more.

Mother of Pearls, I was in love with Michael, the Warrior Archangel.

Could my life get any worse?