Prologue

'Oh and Saporta, please stay behind to pack up. Which means, everyone leave the stands and chairs behind. Get to class as quickly as possible!' Mr Weekes, yelled over the noise of instruments still being put away, lots of chatter and the stray kid blowing a saxaphone. Ryan giggled as his best friend, Gabe, groaned loudly, his head falling forward and hitting the hard case of his trombone. He mumbled out an 'ow' and sat up again, his hand clutching the top of his head, rubbing it.

'Why me, Sir? I did it last week!' He protested and Mr Weekes slammed the music book shut.

'Because you were being a disrupted idiot and you sucked today.' Mr Weekes said, walking over to his desk and rifling through the papers. Gabe whimpered again and turned to Ryan. Ryan shrugged, pulling his fingerless gloves down further on his hands. They weren't allowed at school but his dad spoke to the principal about it. He fiddled with the clips on his flute case, trying to push them down and get it packed away.

'Can Ryan stay behind as well? He's being disruptive as well!' Which was utter bullshit. Ryan sat right in the front of Mr Weekes and he knew not to fuck up or he'd be in trouble. He was also very quiet since the other two flute players, Joe and Keltie weren't the friendliest people.

'Gabe, I can't stay behind. I wasn't a twat like you were.' Ryan mumbled, standing and hiding his case in one of the storage shelves. When he looked back down, he saw that Gabe was gaping up at Ryan, a look of hurt plastered to his face and his hand was clutching his heart.

'I've been betrayed!' He cried out and Ryan laughed.

He's such a moron. How the fuck are we friends?

Mr Weekes looked over at the two of them, a scowl on his face.

'Ross! Hurry up and get out of here or I will make you stay behind and help Saporta.' He snapped, turning back to one of the percussion kids he was talking to. The music room was pretty much empty apart from the four of them and the clutter of stands.

Ryan slapped Gabe on the head, slung his bag on his shoulder and headed out the door. Before he closed the door, he could hear Mr Weekes yelling at Gabe for being a dickward around instruments that could be broken and stands that could injure someone.

Ryan headed to his next class, walking along the edge of the footpath, balancing himself like he was walking on a tightrope. He looked up from his feet to see a group of girls looking at him. Both of them had violins strapped to their backs and they hissed at him. Are they lizards or snakes? I wouldn't be surprised if they really were reptiles.

At Barrington High, there were two group of music kids who absolutely despised each other. One group was the bratty, snobby strings who acted like their music was better than anyone's. And the other group was the concert band who didn't actually give a fuck about the performances and competitions. They only gave a fuck about if they were having fun. It was really weird as Mr Weekes and Mr Walker seemed to get along fine.The whole reason they hate each other apparently dated back several decades ago but no one really knew why. Maybe it was because the strings ripped up the concert pieces that belonged to the concert band. Or maybe it was because the concert band broke their expensive violin. Ryan suspected that is was just because they were two different groups of musicians who went to the same school. I mean, it all seemed to come back to that.

Ryan looked up again just as he collided with some poor kid. Shutting his eyes, Ryan braced himself for the impact of hard cement. He landed on the footpath, pain jolted up his ass and back and he cried out.

He had short hair and a pair of glasses sat on his nose. His mouth was slightly too big for his face but it suited him. He was fucking gorgeous and Ryan couldn't stop looking at him.

'Oh my god! I'm so sorry! I was rushing to the music room and I wasn't looking where I was going!' The kid babbled, trying to pick up his books. Ryan scrambled to his knees and helped the kid out, trying to ignore the searing pain in his tailbone.

'Hey it's okay. I'm Ryan.' Ryan mumbled, handing the kid his books.

'Brendon. Are you hurt or anything?' the kid (Brendon, Ryan reminded himself) asked and Ryan shrugged. He looked down at his hands and saw that the palm of his gloves were a little ripped. Fantastic. I'll need a new pair.

'I may have bruised my tailbone but I'm sure it's-' Ryan let out a soft cry as he stood up, his face contorting in pain and his hands pulled and gripped his uniform. Brendon shoved his books in his bag and leapt to his feet, laying a hand on Ryan's shoulder.

'Let me take you to the office. You're hurt and my form can wait.' Brendon wrapped an arm around Ryan's waist to which Ryan protested both in his tailbone and voice. He didn't need to be carried to the office. I'm fine!

The two of them hobbled over to the office. Ryan was leaning heavily on Brendon. The only sign that he was in pain was his heavy breathing and little whimpers every so often.

I would've been fine. I don't need to go to the office. Why is he helping me? I don't even know him! Ryan tightened his grip on Brendon's shoulder. If the grip of Ryan's hand bothered him at all, he didn't show it.

'Fuck it hurts.' Ryan whined as Brendon opened the door to the office. Brendon helped Ryan lean against the wall, his breathing quickened and his eyes were screwed shut tightly. One hand was pressed against the wall while the other was holding onto his tailbone.

The lady at the counter looked at Ryan with concern and Brendon just asked for a packet ice. Ten minutes later she returned with a packet of ice in her hands, passing it over to Brendon. With a nod, Brendon walked over to Ryan and pressed the icebag into the older one's hands.

'Thanks.' Ryan mumbled and held the icebag tightly against his tailbone. The coldness of the ice helps alleviate some of the searing pain but not a lot. He catches Brendon's eye and motions to the chair. Taking a hint, Brendon carries Ryan over to the seat and helps him sit down, a hiss leaving Ryan's lips before the pain dulls down to just a light throb.

'So, Brendon,' He starts, looking for a way to take his mind off his bruise. 'How come you were heading to the music room?' Brendon shrugs and crouches in front of Ryan, his hands on either side of Ryan's knees.

He's too close to me. I want him to back off.

'Well, I was looking for the strings teacher and...' Ryan doesn't hear the rest of the sentence because all he hears in white noise.

'You play an instrument? Which one?' Oh god my voice sounds weird. Brendon doesn't seem to notice though.

'Uh cello. It's such a lovely instrument.' And Brendon's eyes go all glassy and far away like he's remembering something. Ryan shifted slightly, wincing at the pain in his back.

'Y-yeah. It is.' He mumbles and Brendon stands up, oblivious to Ryan's sudden change in behaviour.

'Well, I need to go and find her. I'll see you later, yeah?' Brendon asks and his eyes are lit up. Ryan nods and Brendon walks outside just as the bell goes.

I'm sorry Brendon. I love my flute way too much to actually try and be friends with you. I'll get kicked out. I'm sorry.

You see, the band kids had this ritual that if someone in their group fucked, dated or became friends with a stringy, they'd suffer a punishment. Mr Weekes knew about it of course but didn't seem to care.

So Ryan just watched him leave, his fingers still holding onto the ice.

I get too attached to people I meet. It needs to fucking stop.

****

So Hey! I'm actually really excited for this fic tbh. It's so good. I love they idea and i have inspiration for it too

Vote and comment if you want or if you felt like this deserves it

Xo, Riley