All this new ryan content has made me emotional

Ryry: I'm out. Can you come with me after school?? Well, when you're finished? I'm not coming in today.

Ryan's finger hovered about the send sign. He and Gabe had kinda sorted things out and he needed Gabe right now.

Gabe had told Ryan that they needed to have a talk about Brendon. The one thing Gabe didn't understand was why Ryan kept it a secret when he knew about it. Ryan didn't see why it was such a big deal. They'd spoke over the phone, the conversation getting heated by the second.

'You kept something from me! You know there's no secrets in this relationship.' Gabe mumbled, his tone sharp and cold. Ryan chewed on his lip and paced his kitchen, completely forgetting about his food.

'I didn't think it mattered. I honestly didn't think Brendon would sign up. And I completely forgot about it too.' He'd responded and it was true. He forgot about Brendon playing his enemy.

'Why didn't you tell me that afternoon? When he fucking told you? Do you know how much fucking trouble we'd get into by Joe?' Joe was the captain of band and was a senior. He made all the shots in band. He was like a second in command to Mr Weekes.

'I don't fucking know okay? And it's not like we were friends with him while he was in the ensemble. We didn't know. We won't be in much trouble, hopefully.' Ryan's voice wavered and he became quieter. 'I don't want to lose our friendship over something so stupid and petty.'

'Yeah, sure. Whatever. I'll call you later. I have homework.' Gabe had hung up and Ryan felt tears pool in his eyes. I'm going to lose my best friend all because of a new kid who plays for the other team.

He probably won't want to talk to you today, George. And Ryan hit send, his nerves on high. He watched the message send and once it went through, he didn't blink and his phone turned itself off. Ryan immediately turned it back on and saw Gabe's chat bubble.

Gabo: Yea sure. I didn't go to school today. I'll be round in about twenty minutes. Stay safe Ry.

And Ryan couldn't help but smile to himself. He turned his phone off and sat down on his bed, his leg jumping up and down. His fingers were all twisted up in the fabric of his shirt. I can't lose Gabe. It was like a mantra, going around and around like a carousel.

Noises came from downstairs and Ryan knew that his dad was up and probably was looking for more bottles of beer or something. Which meant it wasn't really safe for Gabe to go through the front door.

Ryry: Climb up. Don't go through the front door.

Gabe would know exactly what Ryan meant. They'd been friends for years. The two of them knew each other inside and out.

Every time Ryan's dad was up and about and intoxicated, he'd always tell Gabe to go up the ladder situated on the side of his house next to Ryan's window. The last time Gabe went through the front door while Ryan's dad was awake, he'd ended up being yelled at and having a bottle thrown at his head and Ryan ended up with a bruised cheek. Gabe had said they should go to the police but Ryan just shrugged and said to drop it. They did but every time Ryan sent that text, that memory went through both of their heads.

The top of Gabe's head was seen in the window and he was tapping on the glass. Ryan leapt to his feet and opened the glass, pulling Gabe inside. Both of them looked at each other and Ryan smiled awkwardly. A thick tension settled over them. I've fucked up. I've fucked up badly. It has never been this awkward oh god.

'Did you go to school or what?' Ryan asked, taking note of Gabe's crumpled uniform. Gabe shrugged. What have I done?

'Yeah. I did go to school but only for English. That was when I got your text and well, school's shit without you. Besides, Brendon won't stop bugging me about you and I can't stand the sight of him.' Gabe said and Ryan nodded, letting the silence fall over them again. Ryan's nerves were back and teasing him, poking at him and going, 'you've messed up! You've messed up big time!'