08

New Orleans

Elvina stood in the shadows of the night, watching Klaus and his companion Marcel talk. Though she couldn't hear what they were saying, she could read lips as if they were straight out of a book. I am sorry about Thierry, you know? The words flowed out of Klaus' red-stained lips like turpentine, as if he actually meant a word he said. She knew better now, but she didn't always.

Once upon a time, Elvina was close with almost everyone in the Mikaelson family, not just Elijah. Hell, Klaus was like a brother to her, he did after all save her and her sister from death.

Year 992

Smoke filled the starry sky, the crackle of fire roaring on a small house. The screams of the family residing disturbed the peaceful night, as they tried desperately to get out of the burning building. A young boy, perhaps  12, heard the screams, and acted fast. He quickly ran into the burning house, and regard for his own personal safety disappeared.

Inside the house, everything was engulfed in flame. Bright orange and red swallowed everything in the house, the only thing left was a pile darkness on the floor. "Hello? Is anyone here?" He called out into the heat, coughing on the lack of oxygen.

"Help!" The boy ran towards the voice, and found himself in a small kitchen. The flames had swallowed the grass roof, and made it impossible to see past your own hand. "Here!" The voice called again.

When he had found the owner of the voice he sucked in a breath. A mother, with her face burned and hands bloody, held her two children close to her body. Her eyes shone with tears and she struggled to bring in any breath. "Take them, child. Get them out of here." 

The boy did not have to be told twice, as he swept up the young looking girl in his arms, and in her arms an infant lay.  The boy rushed through the flames, keeping the girls close, as he jumped over burning wood, and broken brick. His eyes burned with tears from all the smoke and his lungs screamed from lack of air.

Finally finding an opening, the boy crashed out of the house. His father and mother ran to him quickly, checking for any injuries on their young boy. His older brother, Elijah, ran to the house with a pail in hand, trying to prevent the fire from spreading further. The parents following Elijah's actions soon after.

Suddenly, the girl in his eyes woke up with a start. Her brown eyes caught the sight of blond hair, and she moved away quickly, clutching her younger sibling in one arm to her chest. Her breathing was erratic as she turned around, facing the fire still blazing in front of her.

A sob broke out of her chest and she yelled in horror. She attempted to run towards what once was her  home, only to be stopped by a set of arms around her. She turned around, to face the blond boy again, only this time her brown eyes filled with tears. The reflection of the fire in her eyes startled the boy and tingles shot up and down his back.

"W-what?" She bellowed, her voice shaking and fat droplets falling off her lashes."Mama! Papa!" She tried to take a step forward, before the blond boy held her hand, restricting her from leaving. She looked a him, her knees giving out from under her, as she clutched her sister. He quickly caught her, bringing her slowly to the ground with him. He sat with her for hours, holding the girl he didn't know close to him.

He whispered to her softly until she calmed down, both of them covered in ash and mud. "What's your name?" He looked at her, tilting his head slightly to see her.