Fourth of July Date

I jumped up when my dad came home and hugged him "How was work today dad?" I asked. "Fine, just fine except for running two miles to train, and it hotter than 100 degrees out there" My dad said laughing while he sat on the couch dropping his mitt on the other chair. "Well what do you want to eat?" I asked. "How about some Ice cream." He suggested. "OK, coming right up" I said as we both laughed, we ate chocolate ice cream, but I went to bed, I just couldn't sleep, I was thinking about Squints to much. I woke up, and got out of my bed to change into a black tank top with a dark blue flannel, blue jeans, and my black converse along with my hair in a messy bun. I was brushing my teeth when I heard a knock on my window, I walked over to it only to find Squints trying to open it from the other side, so impatient. So I just watched him struggle for another minute until I walked out of the bathroom and opened it for him, "Do you need something?" I asked. "Yes, today's the Fourth of July, no game this morning." he said before he crawled into the window. "Really you might as well climb down the chimney instead of falling thru my window." I said sarcastically. He laughed, and so did I until he said something adorable, "I just wanted to see you, and i'm wondering what we're going to do today." he said nudging me on the shoulder. I knew he was talking about last night, I blushed just the slightest bit, which followed in another sarcastic response "Not play baseball and i'm going back to bed." "Hey, wait you know what I was talking about, and we are still playing baseball it's the night game." he said, I groaned as a response and sat on my bed followed by Squints. "I was wondering sometime around noon that you and I could get ice cream and then go to the park." he said with puppy eyes, he knew I wouldn't say no but added the extra detail just to make it definite. Around noon squints came to my window and told me to meet him at my door, so I did. We went to a little ice cream shop called Kimmers, it was cold in there and it felt relieving. After we got our ice cream we walked to the park, a lot of people were there, having cookouts and picnics. I didn't know how of a gentleman Squints could be because he acts like a clown everywhere. We talked about the game tonight, hobbies, favorite colors, normal bonding things. By then the night game came, my dad got off work early because it was a holiday, and everyone was happy, the whole team went to Benny's neighborhood because they had a big gathering, but we just had to run to the sandlot anyways. We got there and it was beautiful, the team let me play also Benny and I took turns batting. We played our best that night because, I guess, we all felt like the big leagues under the lights of some great stadium. Benny felt like that all the time. We all knew he was gonna go on to bigger and better things, but every time we stopped to watch the sky on those nights like regular kids, he was there to call us back. You see, for us, baseball was a game. But for Benjamin Franklin Rodriguez, baseball was life. We all knew that.