|NINETEEN|

The little time Luke was home flew by and the kids and I were not happy about it. The kids were used to him being gone but never shed a tear when he was walking out the front door with his packed suitcases. I, on the other hand, was an emotional mess about it.

"Are you gonna be alright?" Luke asked as I helped him load up his truck that Friday night.

"I always am. I just hate to see you leave but I love to see you doing what you love. I'm fine, really." I sniffled a bit.

"Baby, I love you. I don't know what I'd do without you. I promise that once this year's tour is over you and the boys have me all  to yourselves." He kissed my forehead and hugged me tightly.

I stood on the porch with the boys waving to him as he drove away. Then the tears came. Bo and Tate hugged me before asking to go out back and play. Til was more comforting and sat on the back porch swing with me.

"I'm sorry, Til. You don't have to sit here with me. I'm fine." I wiped the tears with the backs of my hands and tried to calm down. I let out a deep sigh and bit my lip to withhold more tears.

"I know it's hard. It hurts us too, Jackie. My uncle Luke is one of the only people I have left but we all gotta push through it. I like to think of it as a countdown, y'know how you count days til buck season? I do that and if anything it gets me more excited for him to come home." He gave me a tight hug before letting me know that he was headed up to his bedroom.

[•]•[•]•[•]•[•]

Every morning for the next month and half, I woke up next to the empty space where Luke should've been. It was strange not waking up with his arm wrapped around me and his loud snoring.

I got out of bed and moped around our bed room until I decided to head downstairs.

The smell of fresh coffee hit me as I made it to the very last step. I saw Bo and Tate still in their pajamas while they watched cartoons on the television. They saw me and immediately greeted me with hugs. I ruffled their hair and continued into the kitchen for a cup of coffee. I sat on the couch next to the boys as I enjoyed my piping hot mug of sanity.

The jangle of keys and the front door closing caught my attention immediately. Til walked in and placed the keys to Luke's truck on the key holder. The instant I processed what was going on, I sprung up, nearly spilling coffee on myself, and practically leapt at him.

"Tilden what in the world do you think you're doing? You know that you can't drive unless I'm with you, let alone without permission. You could've gotten hurt or pulled over!" I tried to keep my composure despite the fact that I was extremely upset with him.

"Auntie, I'm sorry it won't happen again." He put his hands up defensively. His words struck me like lightning right to the chest.

"What did you call me?" I managed to choke out.

"Auntie. I'm sorry, it slipped. It won't happen again." He said quietly. I set my coffee down and pulled Til into my arms.

"You don't have to be sorry about calling me that or driving. Please just let me know if you have to go somewhere next time. If something were to happen to you, your uncle Luke would-"

"I would what?" I heard coming from the doorway as the door shut. I still had Til wrapped in my arms when I felt my heart leap out of my chest. I stood frozen as the man I loved walked towards me with his facial hair grown out more than usual and his hair peaking out from below his hat. His skin was noticeably a darker shade and his eyes bright as usual. Bo and Tate screeched with joy and raced into his arms.

"I went to pick up Uncle Luke from the airport this morning. He called and told me not to tell you." Til cracked a smile down at me. I slugged his arm as he gave me a kiss on the cheek before he headed upstairs to his bedroom.

"Thomas Luther, you sneaky little turd. I cannot believe you." I remarked the instant the boys returned to the couch. He grabbed my hand and pulled me to him. His cologne hit me and I was in heaven. I couldn't even try to pretend I was upset with him for having Til pick him up.

"I cannot believe my eyes, you get even more beautiful everyday." He smiled and kissed my forehead, his overgrown scruff rubbing against my face.

"You've been gone for months and you decide to kiss my forehead? Come here cowboy." I pulled him by the belt loops, closing the distance between us. He cupped my face in his hands and molded his lips against mine.

Authored Note:

KINDA OF A SUCKY FILLER CHAPTER I KNOW. I'm trying here :')

I hope y'all are having a wonderful thanksgiving :)

I won't leave ya hanging for another two months, I promise there will be another update sometime today or later on this week.

-Sam