Chapter [4]

Chapter [4]

I woke up earlier than usual this morning. I scrambled out of bed and strolled to the bathroom intending on having a quick warm shower. Better safe than sorry, waking up earlier than usual I mean. It was sunny and a really nice and warm morning. Unpredictable. Well the weather around here has always been unpredictable. It might rain then it'll be hot, with the sun out.

I slipped on my black skinny jeans that were slightly fading colour. I put on a tight black singlet and white baggy off shoulder sweater. I brushed my hair and loosely braided it to the side. I walked out of my room quickly and walked downstairs. I decided I must get something to eat. I pulled out a bowl and poured some cereal and milk. I was never a big fan of breakfast. I tried chewing and swallowing slowly to not risk puking. I just don't like breakfast. Deal with it.

When I reached the school gates I knew best not to enter the school from the front doors. I took the long way around and entered from one of the side doors. I tried to blend in and snuck to my locker. It was still early so I got my books for the morning and took off to the library.

Veronica rarely goes to the library unless she's flirting with boys, but that usually happened outside the library. I was analysing the books running along the tall and long shelves looking for something interesting- more like eye catching. Something caught my eyes, the title looked interesting and curiosity took over. I pulled out the fictional novel and studied the front cover.

I know, I know, not to judge books by the cover. But I just couldn't help it. It's called 'Lock and Key' by Sarah Dessen. I walked over to the librarian and loaned the book and settled into a beanbag at the far back corner behind the shelves, rarely anyone passes this bit of the library. This is how I spend most of my recess and lunch time.

I flipped over the book and read the blurb:

"Ruby can take care of herself. She's used to counting on no one and answering to nobody. But all of that changes when her mother vanishes and Ruby is sent to live with her older sister, Cora. Now Ruby's got her own room in a fabulous new house, she's going to private school and-for the first time-feeling as if she has a future. Plus, there's the adorable and sweet boy next door, Nate. Everything should be perfect. So why is Ruby so wary? And why is Nate keeping her at a distance? Ruby soon comes to realize that sometimes, in order to save yourself, you've got to reach out to someone else."

I went straight into it, since there was only 10 minutes left for the homeroom bell to ring. I could understand and relate to Ruby, how she wants to take care of herself, and be legal to leave home yet she's still young and she's weak. I felt abandoned too. At least she goes to her sister and has her sister. But what would happen if over time I start repelling my brother. I felt forlorn.

I've become more paranoid than ever. One, from my father but also I can sense something or someone- My head snapped to the source of noise of the book that fell of its shelf- so quick that I think I pulled a muscle. But as soon as I caught sight of a shadow I heard their light footsteps hurry away.

That's it, I'm not paranoid. There again. I wasn't hallucinating. Oh my god. My brother use to creep on me so many times thinking he was quiet enough to scare me; but the thing was my hearing senses are sharp. He would always say the same thing: "No fair, a ninja can't even sneak behind you... Do you like got eyes behind your head or something?" I'd roll my eyes and would always reply back saying: "I like your approach, now let's see your departure." I've got the ability of telling people apart by their footsteps. But the problem was those footsteps were definitely not familiar.

The warning bell went off. I took that as my indication to leave. Veronica would have most likely given up by now. So I hurried along the hall making eye contact with the floor and the floor only. Until I hit something fairly hard. I fell with my books flying in all direction. Who put that wall there? "Oh crap, are you okay?" A deep voice asked. Damn it, as if I wasn't late enough. I glanced up to see an unfamiliar face.