Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Nine minutes. I ran to my closet grabbed black jeans, quickly pulled them on, left my hair down because I just don’t have the time. I left my white singlet on, quickly grabbed my black leather jacket and put it on, pocketed my inhaler. Pulled on my combat boots. Tied them up. Put the camera and Luke’s locket around my neck.

My phone vibrated again. I sighed. Five minutes. I picked up my phone. 12 missed calls. 1 text. I opened the text.

Kai: Gabriella since you don’t want to answer, I just wanted to tell you, I’m sorry if I did something wrong. Just tell me you’re okay.

I felt so bad. My heart fluttered. Yet I also felt sick, truth being told I was scared.

Four minutes. I slipped my phone into my boots, what? I always put it there. I pulled my black beanie on and my fingerless gloves, things are about to go bad I can feel the tension. I packed a bag full of things I’d need. One minute, then I heard it.

Quiet voices. Slowly rising. Until…

“WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU SAYING?!” He growled pretty loudly.

“You heard me clear. I’ve had just enough.” My mum. Shit. I unlocked the first bolt. Quietly. Then the second.

“I’m sick of this- this life you’ve made me live in,” she growled just as coldly.

I crawled on the ground towards the rail of the stairs, and looked through. My mum was standing there confidently. With a bag by the front door.  

“First the abuse, I’m sick of it, and Luke is gone! You promised it would never reach to that! You’re a fucking bastard! I hate you! You’ve changed so much… I don’t even know who you are anymore! You’re a psychopath. And just to let you know they’re gone, I took them and hid them far away, that you’ll never find, even if you tear this house piece by piece.” Hid what?

She gasped as he slapped her and pretty hard. “SHUT UP!”

I covered my mouth. This is bad.

“I’m leaving.” My mum muttered under her breath.

My dad grabbed her elbow, “YOU THINK I’m GOING TO LET YOU LEAVE! HA!” My mother struggled trying to pull free. My hands held the camera tightly, unconsciously snapping pictures. As my eyes widen at the scene, I called her a coward. She’s doing this so that I could, escape.

“LET GO OF ME YOU FREAK!” He slapped her again.

“GO FUCK YOURSELF! YOU THINK I DON’T KNOW? YOU CHEAT ON ME AND THAT GIRL YOU KIDNAPPED ARE YOU FUCKING-” He punched her before she could finish. Wait kidnapped a girl, what girl?

He pulled her pretty close. “I’ll give you one more chance. One more word and you’re dead.” He growled like an aggressive dog.

Mum shut up…please…

She looked terrified, but then she composed herself and stared at him coldly. Dead in the eyes. My heart was beating too fast. She wasn’t going to stop.

“Fuck. You.” 

Two words.

Seven letters.

 Three vowels.

Four consonants. 

He pulled out a black, heavy looking metal thing.

AKA a gun.

A weapon consisting of a metal tube from which a projectile is fired at high velocity into a relatively flat trajectory.

Before she could get away, the sound of the gun thundered. I couldn’t breathe. The sound echoed in my head. Everything happened in slow motion after that.