Chapter 17

Chapter 17

(NOT EDITED)

For the past hour or so, Kai has been trying to feed me. Well he’s almost going to force feed me. I’m not hungry, and I really don’t feel like doing anything. I feel like I’m dreaming. It doesn’t feel real. I’m afraid. What if I’m being a burden to Kai? Maybe I should’ve called Bruce. But then god knows where he would’ve been. I might’ve been dead by then.

I don’t know, I just want to cry. I looked up at Kai, only to see that he’s frowning. “Please?” he gives me a puppy dog face. Or what looked like one; which most likely would’ve made me laugh, if it weren’t because my crappy mood.

I felt bad. I’ll just force myself just three spoons. I try to sit up, which made me feel lightheaded and made me see doubles. “Easy.” He helped me sit up, and he picked up the bowl again. I looked at the now raised bowl and then I looked at him. He nodded at me as he encouraged me to try it. I took the bowl and grabbed the spoon with shaky hands. I tried to fill the spoon with soup but before I could get it out of the bowl the trembling would empty the spoon. I tried 10 times before I frowned in frustration. I reached the point where I was almost about to throw the spoon across the room, when a warm hand closed atop mine. Strong and steady.

It felt nice. He helped me I didn’t tremble too much. I downed the first spoonful. Okay one. Two. Three was coming up when I felt my stomach flip and I quickly pushed past Kai. Not before I stumbled like three times I got to the bathroom on time. I emptied my already empty stomach. It was mostly fluids.

I wiped my mouth with trembling fingers and got up but fell back down into a heap. I felt really dizzy. I felt Kai run in and he grabbed my hands. I gripped his really hard trying to get my orientation back. When I finally opened my tightly shut eyes. I saw three worried Kai’s. Make that two, and then nothing.

***

She’s been out for over an hour, I was really starting to get worried. The phone ringing made me jump, I rushed to the phone. “Kai! It your mum, how’s everything? Did she eat? Does she still have a temperature? Is she awake?—“

I probably should tell her she always knows what to do so I sat down on the counter and told her everything from early in the morning till now. She didn’t say a word until I was done. She cleared her throat before she started. “Okay, no food for now, just loosen her clothing give her one of your t-shirts and at least make her drink small amounts of water for now until I get home. Make sure she’s in the shade or under coolness. It seems like fever is the cause of her dehydration. I’ll get some medicine with me, acetaminophen or ibuprofen. Maybe even both…” that’s my mother speaking doctor again.

“I’ll be home in two hours just do what I told you okay? Kai... Kai?” oh she’s talking to you douche bag. “Oh yeah right see you soon.”

I grabbed a glass of water, one of my loose t-shirts; I go into the room and close the open shades. I try to wake her up. But fail, she’s more asleep than awake when she sits up. I tell her my plan about her changing her jumper; which she answers with a slow and short nod. She tried with so much effort to try to pull the hem of her shirt over her head that I was scared she might strain herself. I help her pull over the jumper and then I couldn’t take my eyes of her torso and her back. It was literally. I can’t even explain it. The bruises where one thing. But the scars and marks, was another. What the hell? I kind of thought my mum was over exaggerating. But now I think was under-exaggerating I don’t even know if that’s a word. Gabs looked uncomfortable she’s like 70 per cent awake now. She wrapped her thin arms around her torso, hugging herself. I think she felt self-conscious.

I brushed my fingers against her bare skin and trace the lines of her back. She tenses up but not for my touch, from pain. I snapped out of my phase and grabbed my t-shirt and slowly and as carefully as I could put it on her. Before, anything happened I grabbed the cup of water, and almost begged her to drink.

“If you couldn’t eat at least drink.” She looked at me. Tilted her head to the side slightly and looked at me. Or more like through me. She looked distant. Her eyes widen in fear and then she snaps out of it. However her breathing was getting uncontrollable. I grabbed the inhaler and used it just as quick. I made her have water she barely took two little sips. Well better than nothing. She looks like she’s conflicting with herself. “Hey Kai…?” she whispered. “Yeah?”

“Thanks for everything…” she looked anywhere but at me. “I think I-I-I should go.” I watched her get up in a rush, trying to scatter away. I was confused. She was being stubborn. I sighed. She’s getting away I should stop her. She’ll reach the door soon. Note the sarcasm. She couldn’t even take two steps away from the bed before she collapsed. I grabbed her and made her look straight at me.

“Gabriella you are not going anywhere, until, until…” I broke of thinking. “Until you’re able to walk, talk, run and eat. So don’t you even think about it. “K… Kiki.” She’s got to be kidding me. She has a little smile on her lip as she leans against me. She’s coming back. Yes! “You know I could get use to that?”

She pouts. She’s so cute. Wait what…? I’m just saying… never mind. “But y-you can’t l-like it…” her voice was barely audible. “Believe me I can…now come here,” I swiftly picked her up and took her downstairs to the basement. She wrapped her warm thin arms around my shoulders and hid her face behind her hair.

“I’m sorry…” she mumbled into my chest. I was confused, “Why?” she took a few deep breathes before having enough energy to speak.

“For… carrying me all the time…for taking care of me… for not judging me... for not asking questions… for being…a… friend.” 

I smiled at her. “That’s what friends are for; they have each other’s back I guess…” I put her down gently on the black leather couch; I put on the stereo, Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger was on. I felt the urge to break dance. So I did and ended it with a windmill in mid-air.

I heard faint clapping behind me I turned around and she was sitting down crossed legged on the couch. But shit did she look so pale. “That’s so cool, do more!” she whispered, pleading me with her eyes.

So I did. We spent a full hour like this, I was getting really tired, and a little dizzy from the flips and spinning. She tried getting up. I watched her, since she said that she’s fine and told me she could get up on her own.

And she did.

It took her a few seconds to get her balance. But she stood. She stood up straight and looked right at me with sparkling eyes. First time in the past two days, “Teach me…” she asked trying to find her voice.

I looked at her with an ‘are you serious?’ look and she said please and pouted. She was killing me she’s so cute. Oh god… I said it again.

“I will, but first you have to eat and drink. Promise you will?”

She looked down then slowly nodded her head. She looked upset and embarrassed? I grabbed the glass of water and walked up to her and she drank a few sips. I placed it back, and then put the stereo back on, “Come on,” I offered a hand and she took it after a few seconds of hesitation.

I held her hands and put them around my neck then I held her tight by the waist. All of Me by John Legend was playing, I twirled around, she laughed lazily, she could barely move but she had a small smile on her face. “Could you pick a cheesier song than this?” she whispered giggling. “Not my fault.” I grinned. She was starting to breathe hard. She was getting tired. “This room is magical.” I looked at her in amusement. “Okay whatever floats your boat,” then I swiped her of her feet. She giggled quietly. Her eyes were getting heavy.

“Kai…”

“Yeah?” I looked down at her she was about to fall asleep.

“Water. Water floats my boat…” I chuckled silently shaking my head I took her back to the guest room and laid her in bed.  

Man, is she something. 

Sup my friendsss whatchya been up too what do you think of the story so far?

Any suggestions????? i'm all earrrs