Chapter 37

Luke's Point of View

Chapter 37

(NOT EDITED)

“No!”

I heard Lottie gasp loudly, as she sits up straight, knocking over a bowl of water that we used to rinse the warm cloth to apply to her cold forehead. She looked startled, almost like she was caught in the headlights. Her eyes round, as if she’s seen a ghost.

I approached her carefully, I didn’t want to frighten her, according to Felix and Pixel, she saw some old pictures, which she just cried looking at but then she freaked out and started trembling. Apparently her eyes darkened from their usual shiny light brown eyes. She looked clouded. Like she does now. Like she was when we found her two weeks ago.

Jackie was still sitting in front of her with tweezers, he was pulling out the glass from her forearms that she fell on top of when we broke open the door.  She wasn’t there when I looked at her. Like when I caught her holding those pills. Or the gun. Or the knife. I got ready anticipating her next move.

No one moved. She stared directly at the wall in front of her. Until, she shook her head and wanted to get up. Jackie grabbed her hands, not wanting her to do something, which she fought against. I closed the remaining space between us. “Let me go!”

“Luke do something.” Jackie muttered through clenched teeth trying to hold her down. At the mention of my name Charlotte stopped thrashing about. “Luke?” I froze.

“Lottie.” I tried, her eyes brightened up, she looked shattered. “It’s okay.” I told Jackie. He let her go and she jumped on me wrapping her arms around me. “She’s really gone.” She whispered. “Kai isn’t, he told me. He talked to me.” I looked over at Jackie; he just shrugged his shoulder, as he resumed pulling out pieces of small glass. I didn’t know what to say. If I told her the truth would I set her off, or should I put some icing on it. Should I just go with it? Yeah I should.

“What did he say?”

She looked at me with wide eyes. “He told me, he never left me in the first place.”

“He didn’t.” I told her. “He’s still with you.” She looked at me confused. “In here.” I pointed at her heart.

“Is that what he meant.” Her face fell. She looked like she’s about to cry. Wrong words. “Lottie look at me.” I lift her chin up, her eyes were shining with unshed tears. “He’ll pay for killing our mother. It’s not your fault. Everything is his. And I’ll make him pay for every time he hit you, for…” I gulped. “For killing our mum.”

She nodded. Jackie finished of bandaging her arm. “There.”  

She kept staring at me, as if wanting to tell me something, but she never did and I didn’t want to push her or pressure her. “Okay you shall rest now, just for a little while okay?” She broke away eye contact and nodded slipping back under the covers. I pulled the covers to her chin and kissed her forehead.

“Sleep well, Lottie.”

She gave me a little smile and shut her eyes; I helped clean up the mess and walked out with Jackie trailing along. “What was that all about?” Jackie asks.                                                             

I rubbed my face and threw myself on the sofa. It wasn’t long until I zoned out.

~~~~

Gunshots.

“LUUUKEEE!!!”

Charlotte.

I kicked the guy and pushed him off me, reversing our position and punched him with everything I had. When I looked over at where Charlotte was… I froze. Crap. This can’t be happening. Kai, was lying in a pool of his own blood. I saw him struggling. I was about to run over when another guy grabbed me.