Chapter 18

Chapter 18

(NOT EDITED)

A full two days passed. She’s walking on her own again. She’s smiling more. Staying awake more; eating better. After our little dance, she went to sleep. After half an hour, I checked on her and she had a temperature again. When mum came home I reported what’s been happening the full day and she quickly put her on IV fluids. It’s been stressful. Today she told my mother that I should go to school and that she’ll be fine on her own.

I was unsure but I was missing out on school, its lunch now and the only thing on my mind is Gabriella. No matter what I do, she’ll always come to mind. I would be lying if I said I was worried, and I don’t know her to well, but I do know that when I return home, there’s a very high chance she won’t be there.

I have to wait for another hour and a half to find out. I’m dying.

***

I sat on the bed, what am I still doing here… I could just walk out right now and no one would stop me. Kai let me hang out in the awesome room. That’s what I shall call it. He trusts me so much and his so sweet. I’ve never been this comfortable in front of someone except Luke.

I should go back home. I can’t just hide her forever. It’s been almost five days. And I’m dying; I’ve never stayed indoors for this long voluntarily. They’ve done so much for me. I feel so guilty and I feel like a burden. Three more hours and Kai would be here. I made sure he left for school, his done so much. I hate myself…

First I was a burden to my brother and now to Kai. Not the best feeling. I’ll leave tonight, when everyone’s asleep. But I’ll leave a note so they don’t freak out. But now I really need to go and sit against the tree. I also want to get my camera. So I put on my now dry combat boots and walked out. It was a bit cold but the air felt good against my skin and in my hair. I closed my eyes and breathed in deeply. When I reopened them, I felt a burst of adrenaline shot through me and I started running. I ran the few blocks before I reached the forest. The trees were dancing and I could almost full their pull. I ran in. normally I wouldn’t be tired but after sitting and sleeping for well over five days, an athlete would get tired.

When I reached our tree I pulled out my spare inhaler that Luke hid just in case of emergencies. I put it in Kai’s jumper that I was wearing. After I felt my heartbeat go down, I pulled myself up and on a low branch. When I got to the middle I leaned against the branches and made myself comfortable. I gazed at the pictures. I looked at the most recent picture of Bruce and I on the rollercoaster and I couldn’t help it but smile. I wonder how Bruce is doing. I pulled out my phone and unlocked it. I went to the messages we sent to each other that day and texted him.

Me: Hey Bruce J

Not a minute passed before I felt my phone vibrate.

Bruce: Sup, evil blackmailer?

Ha! He remembers.

Me: nm I was just bored.

I eased myself of the tree and grabbed my camera and walked around anywhere.

Bruce: where you at?

Me: Just strolling.

Bruce: shouldn’t you be at school?

I frowned he doesn’t have to know.

Me: didn’t feel like it.

Bruce: want to hang out?

That was very tempting but Kai would be home in two hours.

Me: I can’t stay out for long.

Bruce: Is that a yes?