.8. {Maya POV}

I couldn't say no to Lucas when he asked to walk me home. I was supposed to be in love with him. We left Riley a few blocks from her house and I could feel her eyes on me as we walked away. She didn't like that I was walking alone with the boy she liked. I knew that was it. She was burning holes of jealousy into my back. I couldn't look back at her. I just could bring myself to do it. 

Lucas and I walked in silence. Mostly because I was to busy thinking about our friend Riley. After a while he reached down and tried to take my hand. It caught me by surprise and I wrenched it free. 

"What are you doing?" I yelled, stopping in my tracks. 

"Whoa, I was just going to hold your hand..." Lucas said defensively. He held up his hands and took a step back. 

I glanced nervously to wear Riley had been standing when we left her. She wasn't there. Good, she didn't see him take my hand. Perhaps she hadn't even staid to watch us. I thought. 

"Are you okay?" Lucas asked me. 

"Uh...yeah I'm fine. I just, I think I should walk home by myself." I said crossing my arms and walking past him. 

Lucas ran after me. 

"Okay, you are not fine. What is wrong?" He protested. 

I didn't stop. 

"Lucas just leave me alone." I said in frustration. I was at my wits end. I couldn't even tell why I was getting emotional. I'd had a great day with friends. But it was like as soon as my day was deprived of Riley I couldn't help but become frustrated and vulnerable. 

Lucas didn't follow me after that. He just left me to walk home alone. Which I mentally thanked him for. 

When I got home I flopped onto the living room couch. 

"Maya, are you alright?" Shawn asked as he came in and noticed me. 

I sighed loudly as he sat down beside me. 

"No."

"Aww, come here beauty." He opened his arms for me to lean on him. I took him up on his offer and curled up to his side. 

"Now tell me what's wrong. You were so happy this morning." 

I shrugged. I couldn't admit the feelings I was feeling. I had admitted them to myself. But speaking them would make them true and I didn't think I was equipped to handle that. I'd never allowed myself to fall in love with someone before. I couldn't end up like my mother and father. 

"Well if you dont feel like talking about it thats fine too. We can just sit here." Shawn suggested. 

"Thank you." I whispered as a few tears trickled down my cheeks. 

We sat there for a while before I fell asleep. 

My mom must have come home to us both asleep there on the couch because when I woke up in the morning somebody had covered us with a blanket. Shawn was already awake and my mother was leaning on the back of the couch. 

"Good morning sweetheart." My smiled. 

"Morning mom." I smiled back. The sight of my parents overrode the negative feelings i'd taken to bed with me just the night before. It was the start of a perfect day. 

Please dont forget to vote!