.13. {Maya & Riley POV}

Maya:

"You have to tell her." My mother and I had moved from the floor and were now sitting on the bench where Lucas had been sleeping an hour ago. When my father left and I calmed down enough to speak my mom began asking me questions. She'd had a feeling that I loved Riley more than I let on, but had never said anything. 

"I don't think I can do that." I sighed. 

"Why not?" She pushed the hair out of my face. 

"What if she doesn't feel the same way? What if she doesn't want to be friends with me after that?" I protested. "I can't lose her."

"Baby girl, this is Riley. She would never leave you." My mother smiled. 

"How do you know?" I asked. 

"Riley was right. She is your best friend and there is nothing you could say or do to change that. She stood up to a grown man to protect you." My mother laughed in awe. 

The image of Riley sticking up for me popped into my mind. It made me blush to think about it. I didn't look my mom in the eye from embarrassment when I answered her. 

"Yeah, I guess you're right. I'll go to her house in a few minutes and just...tell her." I resolved. 

Riley:

I kicked and screamed for blocks! Lucas had my arms pinned so I couldn't struggle too much. I wanted him to let me go! He needed to let me go! I had to be there! I had to be there to protect Maya from her father. 

"LET ME GO! LUCAS PLEASE!" I begged. 

He ignored me as he used his super strength to carry me from Topanga's all the way to Central park. Slowly I tired myself out and stopped fighting only because I physically could not continue. The anger and struggles turned to tears and violent sobs racked my body. Lucas let me down on a bench and made sure I was going stay before he sat down beside me.

"What was that?" He asked with a serious tone. 

"To what are you referring to?" I asked drying my tears. 

"All of it!" Lucas pushed. 

"I felt like Maya's dad was attacking her and me and so I stood up to him." I shrugged trying ot hide my true feelings. 

"He said you guys weren't friends. He almost called you a 'faggot'. What does he mean?" Lucas asked still confused. 

"He's right I sighed." I'd played this game of being in love with Lucas for too long. I tried to use it to keep Maya from thinking I liked her. But I couldn't lie anymore. Not to my friends. 

Lucas looked a bit surprised but generally accepting. "Why didn't you just tell us you were gay?" He asked. 

"I didn't want to lose you or Maya. I didn't want you to think I never liked you. I did, but when I found out Maya liked you too I realized I didn't want her to like you. Not because I wanted you, but because I wanted her. But I was too afraid of losing her to tell her." I came clean. 

"I understand." Lucas nodded with a smile. After a few seconds of silence he began speaking again. "You know, Maya loves you. She would never stop being a friend to you. She would never let go of her best friend. Especially after what you did for her today. You have to tell her. She'd be a fool to turn you down." Lucas smiled and kissed my forehead. 

My friend stood up and offered me his hand. 

"Come on. Let's go back to your house. That's the first place she'll go when her dad leaves." Lucas said with a smile. 

I smiled trough my tears and took his hand. 

"Okay." I whispered. 

A/N Twitter Q&A with @GMWriters on Friday at noon!