{6} Chapter - Edited

{6} Chapter

Sapphire

         It was a bit awkward playing flute with a wolf's head placed on your lap. It felt neutral, surprisingly. I didn't feel any discomfort at all. Maybe because it was the fact that my mother had told me a long time ago.

         I was just sitting comfortably on my position, doing the usual thing, when all of a sudden I heard rustling noises. I have came up with a conclusion that it might be another squirrel. But sadly, my thoughts were incorrect. Instead of a chattering squirrel, there was a wolf. A brown wolf that is clearly the size of a bear... but a few inches larger. I can't help but stumble backwards a few steps because of fear that it's going to eat me.

         If I could, I would've screamed my throats out... and I'm starting to remorse the fact that I have no voice.

         Surprisingly, I found this wolf friendly.

         So, I continued to play my flute in its usual tune and got lost with the music myself. When I finally realized that it was time to leave, I petted the wolf in the head. I can feel something towards it . . . but I can't quite put a finger on it. There was some sort of connection. Like, when I stared straight into his oddly grayish-silver colored eyes . . .

         I was starting to wish that I can speak. I want to give him a name and speak out mine . . . but it seemed impossible so I just smiled at him and mentally called him Darwin. I was able to distinguish his gender because of the body built. He was clearly a male because of his broad, muscled composure. If it were a girl, the body would've been more feminine . . . either thinner, smaller or just the average curvy form.

         While starting to walk back with my flute in, I felt a small nudge on my back which made me stumble forwards a few steps. I looked back behind me, spotting the wolf whimpering while ducking his head down. I smiled at him and crouched down to give him a warm hug. He felt so comfy, his fur felt so soft that I didn’t even want to break away. The hug lasted a few minutes before I coerced myself to tear away and began jog back to my home.

         I really wish I could talk to him though. Thank him for the wonderful company he had given me and of course . . . share him my thoughts. But being voiceless that seemed impossible. Wolves couldn’t read, right?

         If possible I want to take him home with me. Although having a wolf as a pet as big as that will only freak Aunt Farris out. Besides, I don't think he'll want to be caged in a small house. Wolves are meant to be free, living in the forest. 

         As I finally reached the backdoor, I tilted my head to the side and spared the forest my last glance before heading inside to warm up from the coldness and receive my breakfast and help with my last morning chores. Aunt Farris clearly understand about my daily 'session' deep inside the woods and eventually let me do my 'thing' as long as I help do the housework afterwards.

         A pair of grayish-silver eyes caught mine. It was the wolf. I can’t help but think he followed me home.

         I flashed a short-lived smile and eventually scurried inside my house. The weather was excruciatingly freezing, and I needed a steaming cup of hot chocolate . . . in an instant! After dusting off the dirt on my boots and slipped it off, leaving me to my socks, I hurriedly walked towards the kitchen and stopped by the doorway, instantly spotting Aunt Farris brewing her own steaming cup of coffee and Rosy holding two mugs on her hands. She was stirring the second one and the steam from what looked like . . . hot chocolate . . . curled from the mug and faded in the air

         I ran towards the living room and took hold of my bag which I usually place on the ground, leaning by the wall. I zipped it open and slipped my flute inside. Zipping it back up and gently placing my bag back down on the floor, I left it while rushing back into the kitchen.