{7-2} Chapter - Edited

Sapphire

           After sitting on my favorite spot under the tree, someone came up in front of me. Looking up at whoever approached, my eyes caught a face full of anxiety.

         Waiting for him to say something, I gazed questioningly straight into his eyes. He had been quiet since he approached. Was he not himself? He had a strawberry blond hair, and those familiar . . . graying-silver eyes. I must’ve seen him from somewhere. I just can’t quite remember. Was he in the game last night?

         The game? Wasn't he? Oh, snap. I wish he didn't come here to make fun of me. I hid the scared expression from my face and trained my eyes to what I was reading. 

         At last, he finally spoke. “Oh, um, hi.” He greeted. I can tell he was nervous just by the tone of his voice.

         Why will he be nervous? It’s not like I will speak anything bad back at him . . . he seems kind, and cute if you would say. Considering the fact that I can’t speak, I just smiled kindly up at him and waved. After that, I dropped my gaze back to the book I was reading.

         I can still decipher his brows creasing on his forehead. Does he know I can’t speak? He inched closer, looking down at me as if he was asking permission. “Can I sit here?” He asked. I nodded slowly. It’s not like it’ll hurt, right? He slid slowly down to the ground until he hit the floor. “So . . . I’m Darren.” He stuck out his hand for me to shake. I glanced between his face and his hand. Is he serious? Does he really want to be acquainted with someone like me?

         I reached and gently took his hand in mine and shook it eagerly. To my shock, pleasurable sparks erupted instantly when we touched. Goosebumps rose on my skin while I fought the urge to shudder, jolt of electricity slithering down my spine. I briefly glanced at his face and was able to catch his involuntary shiver. He felt it too?

         I can tell he wasn’t focused because he kept staring at my hand. With uncertainty, I let go and dropped my attention back on the book I was reading. It’s odd . . . where did those sparks came from? Surely I didn't get too much affected by the romance novels I was reading, right? No. Maybe I just got zapped or something.

         After a few minutes, I can see a smile breaking its way onto his face with the corner of my eyes. He looked as if he had taken knowledge of something. After a few minute of silence, he continued to stare into my face, waiting for me to say something. “What’s your name?” He asked.

         This time, I didn’t just look at him. I pursed my lips and began to tense. How am I going to tell him that I can’t speak? This was the part that I hated the most.

         When I didn’t answer his question, curiosity plated its way onto face. Now he’s growing suspicious. Damn, I hate my life.

         “Hey Darren!” A feminine voice called. I heard a gentle tap on his shoulder and my eyes snapped out towards Caitlin’s face. She was one of the cheerleaders in this school. She was responsible for getting people on their sides.

         Great, now another friend is lost. When people talks to me and Rosy, they always make sure to take them away from us. They sure do want to make our life hell. “Why are you talking to the mute? Like she will talk back to you.” She told him, making me throw my gaze on the book I was reading with regret.

         I refused to look at his reaction, but the tone of his voice made it clear that he was confused. “Mute?” after those words rolled out of his tongue, his gaze diverted to me with mixed emotion. I never thought someone would show such feelings towards me like that. He had concern, worry, curiosity . . . all of those emotions can be seen through his eyes. “Is that true?” I slowly nodded, refusing to meet his gaze.

         “Come on, Darren.” I can see Caitlin grabbing his arm and is starting to pull him away from me. Yeah, do that. He doesn’t deserve a friend like me. “That girl will only destroy his reputation. Hang with us. She’s nothing but a mere dreamer who hangs with the high-school nerd and a social climber who plays the flute on hopes of getting popular.”  

         Hearing those words brought tears to my eyes. Is that what I look like to everybody? Yes, I am a dreamer. It is free to dream right? But I’m not a social climber. I play the flute to ease all of the feelings that I feel. Playing the flute is something that weighed off the heavy burden of feeling I was carrying. Rosy may be the high-school nerd. But that doesn’t mean she was useless . . . at least she got to do something to contribute to all of the hard work Aunt Farris did.

           And I am definitely not a social climber.

         Yes, I am mute. I stand no chance against the populars. But I never chose to stay like this. I am the reason why my parents died. If I haven’t joined that contest in the first place, we wouldn’t go out on a drive that day. Their car shouldn’t have fallen off the cliff. My parents would still be alive by now, and I still could have my voice--lived the average way of life.

         Yes, blame it all on me. It is my entire fault.

         I gathered my things and started to walk away. Tears started to stroll down my cheeks.

         There is only one place which I’m certain nobody will bother me.

         The forest.